Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ8 unboxing and assembly

robbieince

Been checking my pier head fittings.  250mm x 10mm mild steel discs connected with M16 nuts, bolts and washers.  The clearance inside the bolt heads and washers is 180mm - just right for the 180mm EQ8 :D  Lucky eh? :)  ATM I have an EQ6 pier extension with the NEQ6 on top but this will be going - too flimsy for an EQ8 mount.  The pier and it's fittings will be well up to the EQ8 with 15-20Kg payload.  Rather glad now that I over-engineered the pier :)

I'm proposing to have my MN190 plus two ED80s on the EQ8 and have been looking at how to arrange all this - it ain't easy! :D  Probably a prretty massive ali plate (or I might go for steel) with the ED80 mounted either side of the MN190.  My mounting engineering has just stepped up a couple of notches :D

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Rob :)  I found the m3 system web site but you have to email in to get prices.  Strikes me that the old adage "If you need to ask the price you can't afford it" may well apply here :D  I expect I'll do my usual DIY jobby just using a Losmandy style dovetail bar.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys - been away for a few days and then busy at the obs..

No new activity with the mount but I hope to fix that over the next few days. Weather has been atrocious but hopefully a clear spell will give me a chance to get first light and do some periodic error traces. Of course I will post as son as I get anything.

Regards

Rob

• 4 months later...

Not had a chance to use it much, due to a combination of work and weather, until this last week.

I have just come back from the spring Kielder event and there we did manage to get some observing time in and the mount behaved flawlessly.

Managed to get eqmod controlling the mount and doing fully remote imaging and slewing from a windows 8 machine.

I will be processing the pics and doing a small write up but no issues to report (other than those stupid levelling feet....)

Archived