NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Protecting Eyepieces in none compression focusers

Optical Dob

Hello, I would like to get a better eyepiece but have a standard focuser without the compression ring. Do any of you have any little tricks or ideas on how I could stop the screws  scratching the barrel, or am I over reacting. Would tape of some sort work?  :confused:

Thanks.

I still think my suggestion was the right one :/

I wouldn't chance any of my eyepieces to a nylon screw which could snap off if overtightened.  Also it won't seat the eyepiece in the centre like a compression ring will (do a better job of doing).  I also read the OP as a way to fix eyepieces for visual use, not put the eyepieces right into the focuser itself which is why I spoke about the extensions.  I assume everyone uses a extension, right?  I've never had any eyepiece come to focus directly in the focuser itself.  I've just left those screws as they were delivered. The extensions I've put in don't come out at all so I dont mind so much that they are held in place with screws.

the compression ring extensions are cheap as chips and work perfectly although they are 2" extensions so you'll need a 2" to 1.25" apdator too with a low profile.  They sell these on Altair Astro too, self centering ones, and they are also less than £20 I think.

the chances of an eyepiece falling out of a dob even if in a focuser without anything holding it in other than gravity are pretty remote. you only need a whisker of tightness with a nylon bolt to hold it in, not a 'dying strain with a grunt'.

all that said I did buy dual speed focusers for mine which I really like and they have compression fittings. be aware that the brass clamps in them can mark the barrels too and in some cases, snag on the undercut on most barrels resulting sometimes in a dropped eyepiece - not happened to me thankfully but has to others.

my view on scopes and eyepieces is, yes, look after them but they are meant to be and should be used out in the field (or garden) where it's often dusty, grimy, damp etc etc and they will no doubt show some signs of wear over a period of years. if they don't then get out more :grin:

I assume everyone uses a extension, right?  I've never had any eyepiece come to focus directly in the focuser itself. .

I must be the odd one out then. Never use an extension piece in my 10" Dob.

Never needed one in any of my old scopes either.

Only my 12mm Nagler needs one when its in my larger scope, this is the only time I ever need to use one.

I must be the odd one out then. Never use an extension piece in my 10" Dob.

Never needed one in any of my old scopes either.

Only my 12mm Nagler needs one when its in my larger scope, this is the only time I ever need to use one.

I've never used an extension either.  Only eyepiece I've had that needed one was a Siebert Observatory 36mm.  For that one could not let it sit in the focuser to the shoulder but had to lock it in at the very edge of the eyepiece's barrel.  Other than that one eyepiece, everything else I've had comes to focus fine in my Orion USA Dob (XT10).  I usually hear people not having enough in-travel to come to focus with a Dob rather than out-travel.

it's the same with OOUK scopes. all mine need a 50mm extension to focus. it's likey to be a compromise to keep the tube as short as possible, to have the focuser a few inches more down the tube for dew prevention or to make the trusses shorter and therefore the structure less flexible.

Archived