NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2013

DeepThought

They seem to have picked better images this year, I normally find their choices boring for the most part. Maybe that's just me as a hardened DSO imager who just wants to see 20 DSO and planetary shots and none of this man looking at Milky Way business :)

Anyway, Tom should have won, or the M81/M82 shot, or the sun spot pic. Damien Peach's Saturn was also amazing but he won a couple of years ago and someone else should have a turn at winning!!

They seem to have picked better images this year, I normally find their choices boring for the most part. Maybe that's just me as a hardened DSO imager who just wants to see 20 DSO and planetary shots and none of this man looking at Milky Way business :)

Anyway, Tom should have won, or the M81/M82 shot, or the sun spot pic. Damien Peach's Saturn was also amazing but he won a couple of years ago and someone else should have a turn at winning!!

Agree with you, there was a lot of photos which seemed to merit more from composition than technicality. Which i know is valid in a photography competition, but there were some stunning DSO images in there (the M81/82 image was my favourite), and the quality you see on this forum alone is on par with that. Tom's image was stunning though and a rightful winner. I'm sure there's more DSOs in the exhibition in general, I'm going there in a couple of weeks to see it so I guess i'll find out!

Some truly excellent shots in that selection.  I went to last night' presentation at the Observatory, where they projected the highly commended, runner up and winning photos into the planetarium dome, so we got a really good view of them all.  I agree that the M81/82 and IFN shot was a cracker.  Made me wonder whether I  might have a go at something imaginative and enter next year.  That shot of the moon rising behind an observation deck is the sort of thing I have in mind.

Some truly excellent shots in that selection.  I went to last night' presentation at the Observatory, where they projected the highly commended, runner up and winning photos into the planetarium dome, so we got a really good view of them all.  I agree that the M81/82 and IFN shot was a cracker.  Made me wonder whether I  might have a go at something imaginative and enter next year.  That shot of the moon rising behind an observation deck is the sort of thing I have in mind.

Wow Ludd, that sounds spectacular! Wish I was there to receive my award. I was very fortunate though that a very good astro buddy of mine was going to be in London and arriving that morning! So he and his wife represented me last night and they said they had a fabulous time. Maybe you met them?.. his name is easy to remember as it is Attila (as in the Hun)  :laugh:  and his wife is Jane

I agree there were some amazing images in the deep sky category and I am incredibly honoured that my image of NGC 253 caught the collective eyes of the panel of eight judges enough to be considered for the top 5  :smiley:

The overall winning image (by another Aussie :grin: ) is however indeed a head turner and everyone I showed it to today said WOW 

Mike

Well done indeed to Tom. The winning image by Adam Block is stunning but let's get real, this was with a 0.8 metre professional research grade telescope. :confused:  What sort of competition is this? Tom used a 4 inch refractor! The third image by Mike Sidonio (Strongmanmike on here) is another cracker.

There really is some great work on show here.

Olly

Oops, you appeared as I was typing, Mike! Hearty congratulations. Your images are consistently amongst the best amateur DS pictures posted anywhere and have a distinct style and finesse.

Well done indeed to Tom. The winning image by Adam Block is stunning but let's get real, this was with a 0.8 metre professional research grade telescope. :confused:  What sort of competition is this? Tom used a 4 inch refractor! The third image by Mike Sidonio (Strongmanmike on here) is another cracker.

There really is some great work on show here.

Olly

Oops, you appeared as I was typing, Mike! Hearty congratulations. Your images are consistently amongst the best amateur DS pictures posted anywhere and have a distinct style and finesse.

Cheers Olly! Gee, that's very nice of you to say  :smile:  ...oh and re the 0.8m, not to mention being at 9000ft in Arizona... all good though  :grin:

Mike

Mike, your NGC253 was indeed superb, with a great balance between the red hydrogen bits, the dust lanes and the star fields.  I did see Attila going up to receive your prize but didn't chat with him and Jane.  In fact I snuck off pretty sharpish (after a glass of wine and a few nibbles) after the show.

Mike, your NGC253 was indeed superb, with a great balance between the red hydrogen bits, the dust lanes and the star fields.  I did see Attila going up to receive your prize but didn't chat with him and Jane.  In fact I snuck off pretty sharpish (after a glass of wine and a few nibbles) after the show.

Cool, nice to hear that Ludd and thanks for the nice feedback  :smile:

Mike

Hi All,

Cheers for the comments on the pics, and well done to other prize winners. I was at the event on Wed evening, and I had a great night. The pics looked really well projected onto the Planetarium roof, and the comments from the presenter's on each one had good descriptions attached. I was woozy and relaxed after getting up from the reclining seat by the end of it. That was long before the champagne and wine was being served.

Mike I met Attila and his wife, and was chatting to them for a while. Very nice couple. You have 3 images I think in the yearbook too.

Agree with you, there was a lot of photos which seemed to merit more from composition than technicality. Which i know is valid in a photography competition, but there were some stunning DSO images in there (the M81/82 image was my favourite), and the quality you see on this forum alone is on par with that. Tom's image was stunning though and a rightful winner. I'm sure there's more DSOs in the exhibition in general, I'm going there in a couple of weeks to see it so I guess i'll find out!

Jez, there were a lot of DSO shots in the hall outside the exhibition. I don't know if that was just for the awards night, or if they'll be on the walls for the length of time the exhibition is on. Spoiler Alert On Exbo Images:

The exhibition itself has the shortlisted images from all categories on backlit mountings. The backlit mounts do add a brightness (obviously) and a crispness to the images.

Jez, there were a lot of DSO shots in the hall outside the exhibition. I don't know if that was just for the awards night, or if they'll be on the walls for the length of time the exhibition is on. Spoiler Alert On Exbo Images:

The exhibition itself has the shortlisted images from all categories on backlit mountings. The backlit mounts do add a brightness (obviously) and a crispness to the images.

Cool - I look forward to the exhibition! Congrats again

I was also very impressed with this years winners.  I have the book for 2009-2012 and you can see a progression of quality over the years.  Whilst very inspiring it also makes me wonder why I bothered entering the image I did, it was clearly NOT up to standard by a mile.  Oh well ~10 months to go for the next one to get something better.

Sister was also at the night, she said it was a brilliant evening even thought she was knackered by the end as she was running around talking to people for work.

Hi All,

Cheers for the comments on the pics, and well done to other prize winners. I was at the event on Wed evening, and I had a great night. The pics looked really well projected onto the Planetarium roof, and the comments from the presenter's on each one had good descriptions attached. I was woozy and relaxed after getting up from the reclining seat by the end of it. That was long before the champagne and wine was being served.

Mike I met Attila and his wife, and was chatting to them for a while. Very nice couple. You have 3 images I think in the yearbook too.

Congratulations Tom, your awarded image was fantastic. Glad you had a nice evening too and that's very cool that you met Attila and Jane, Attila and I have been good astro friends a long time  :smile: Yes I have my three short-listed images in the Year Book

Cheers

Mike

Archived