Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pleiades Nebula

kerrylewis

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It needs a dark sky really.

No filter will do a great job on the Merope nebula because it's continuum reflection nebulosity, not emission line but there's no harm trying an LP filter.

I have seen it with a 16" lightbridge in mediocre skies, but with a 5" apo refracter from excellent skies.

As far as I know the reflection nebula is formed from the remains of the nebula from which the stars formed. I may be wrong. I have seen it with my 80 mm APM from a dark site.

One of us is right.... not sure I'd put money on who though :grin:

Saw it recently in the Brecon Beacons.  Darkest site I've ever been too, and the nebulosity was obvious (was using the CPC 800, focal reducer, and a BH 72o Aspheric EP. 

Truly one of the most amazing sites I've seen (although not been at this long!).  I was blown away.  So, so pretty. 

Only advice I could give here is to get to a very dark site.  Don't think you'll have a chance in hell of seeing it unless you do.

Saw it recently in the Brecon Beacons.  Darkest site I've ever been too, and the nebulosity was obvious (was using the CPC 800, focal reducer, and a BH 72o Aspheric EP. 

Truly one of the most amazing sites I've seen (although not been at this long!).  I was blown away.  So, so pretty. 

Only advice I could give here is to get to a very dark site.  Don't think you'll have a chance in hell of seeing it unless you do.

Last winter I saw it under very cold, clear & dark skies,it was unreal-a wow moment for me.That same night M42 was absolutely stunning.I was using a 90mm refractor with the 23mm & 10mm Luminos & the nebulosity completley changed the nature of this object,it is beautiful.Seeing those 2 objects that night has led me to seriously pursue this hobby.

Thanks Michael - that must be what I read, misunderstanding or more likely misremembering the line of sight bit!

And thanks Faulksy. The sky at my house is not too bad especially since the street light outside went kaput- hope nobody reports it! But I am on the look out for a dark site. My wife's cousin lives in the countryside east of here and I'm going to take a look from there at some point.

Kerry

In some wavelengths I think it is possible to see a 'wake' created by the movement of the stars through the gas and dust. If images go deep enough and are wide enough to reach beyond the blue regions you can capture the brownish dust.  http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-WQXKB6Z/0/X3/M45%20COMPOSITE%20FL-X3.jpg

I find the nebulosity very variable in visual observing, with it showing fairly easily on one clear night and then not on another. It may, of course, just be my eyes! The best choice for me is the large apo and Nagler 26EP. It is also possible to mistake a slight dewing of the optics for this nebulosity. The test is to slew to similar magnitude stars and see if you still see it.

Olly

This is turning out to be a very interesting thread. I am looking forward to having a closer look at M45. I used to wonder about this Messier chap - I mean who could possibly mistake the Pleiades for a comet? But, if there is some nebulosity visible then maybe he had a point!

Kerry

I gather that Messier at first wanted to catalogue comet like structures which did not move, and distracted him in his search for comets. He later started getting interested in these objects themselves, and started cataloguing more and more objects which were clearly not comet like. The first claims of the reflection nebula in the Pleiades was greeted with scepticism, I seem to remember. Only when it started showing up on plates did people genuinely believe it was a real feature

I've never managed to see the nebulosity, though I've sometimes thought I've seen it - then I've checked around other non-nebulous stars and realised I was only seeing light scattered by the optics or thin haze. Must try again this winter - I'll use a small refractor at a very dark site and make sure the transparency is excellent - then I stand a chance.

Messier added M45 as a list-filler; the Merope Nebula was discovered by Tempel in the 1850s using a 4" refractor (pictured below). There was indeed some initial scepticism about the nebula's existence as many others failed to see it.

post-1955-0-59153700-1379589069_thumb.jp

Archived