NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Esprit-80 and Esprit-100 Incoming

FLO

Apologies didn't mean to post link to another supplier in the the sponsors  section

That was me - and again I must apologise - sorry Steve :(  I'm not with it today - all sorts of problems.  That link wont work anyway - still too much back focus.  I haven't found an answer other than to make (or get made) a special adapter to connect the SW FF or adapter to the Atik EFW2 :(

I'd better not post any more here I think...  "I'll get me coat"

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm afraid I have an apology to make Steve - I was wrong about the adapter supplied with the flattener - it's 48mm not T2, so you were right.  Sorry about that.

No problem :smiley:

If you are looking for a lower profile (than ours) M48-T2 adapter try Altrair Astro, I think they offer one. 

Thread adapters are tricky things to design. We chose 10mm because it enables us to make it stronger and include a knurled grip but I do understand some will need a slimmer profile  :smiley:

Steve 

It's a struggle to get the EFW2 and 460EX (or other CCD) to fit within the FF back focus requirement let alone an OAG :(  I shall be making a special adapter to connect the FF to the EFW2 when I get my mini lathe.

I'm going to try Esprit 80ED without the FF first - no problem then.

It's a struggle to get the EFW2 and 460EX (or other CCD) to fit within the FF back focus requirement let alone an OAG :(  I shall be making a special adapter to connect the FF to the EFW2 when I get my mini lathe.

I'm going to try Esprit 80ED without the FF first - no problem then.

Is it 46mm with the 460+FW+filter?

On the f7 150ED I can use the 460ex without need for the FF, be interesting to see the 80 without it

The next delivery of Skywatcher Esprit-80 and Esprit-100 telescopes have arrived, earlier than expected :smiley:

Backorders have been processed and will be dispatched tomorrow for delivery Monday. 

Thank-you   :icon_salut:

Woo! I ran up the stairs to my computer about 30 seconds after getting the stock e-mail, then completed the order in another 90 seconds. I hope i was quick enough this time?! ha

Is it 46mm with the 460+FW+filter?

On the f7 150ED I can use the 460ex without need for the FF, be interesting to see the 80 without it

With the flattener it adds up like this :-

1. 460 - 13mm
  2. EFW2 - 22mm (camera to FW is zero as the adapter is flush with the FW surface) = 35mm
  3. Atik 54mm to T2 adapter rim - 1.5mm = 36.5mm
  4. ??? connection T2 to 48mm SW adapter.  Male thread on adapter extends 6mm = 36.5 + 6 + thickness of 48mm to T2
  5. 48mm to 65mm SW adapter (takes you up to the FF surface) - 11mm = 53.5 + thickness of 48mm to T2

So with a required back focus of 54.9mm we are left with 1.4mm for a 48mm to T2 adapter.  I think an adapter from a wrell known German telescope adapters supplier, which screws onto the end of the 48mm male thread, might be just about right.

Tonight's local weather forecast predicts some clear skies around 9 or 10pm and I have the Esprit 80ED set up without the FF so I'm hoping to find out how well it works with the 460EX.

Although conditions aren't very good I have done a test with the Atik 460EX on the Esprit 80ED without the flattener, and the focus is decidedly soft around the edges compared with the middle.

CONCLUSION - Without the flattener there is noticeable field curvature with the Atik 460EX. :(

Although conditions aren't very good I have done a test with the Atik 460EX on the Esprit 80ED without the flattener, and the focus is decidedly soft around the edges compared with the middle.

CONCLUSION - Without the flattener there is noticeable field curvature with the Atik 460EX. :(

:mad:

CONCLUSION - Without the flattener there is noticeable field curvature with the Atik 460EX.  :(

Don't worry Gina, we should expect field curvature when using a fast f5 triplet without a field flattener. That is why Skywatcher went to the trouble of making an optically-matched field flattener. 

You would probably notice curvature using a 314L+ so your 460EX, with a significantly larger sensor, will definitely need the field flattener. 

HTH :smiley:

Steve 

Don't worry Gina, we should expect field curvature when using a fast f5 triplet without a field flattener. That is why Skywatcher went to the trouble of making an optically-matched field flattener. 

You would probably notice curvature using a 314L+ so your 460EX, with a significantly larger sensor, will definitely need the field flattener. 

HTH :smiley:

Steve 

I rather expected this after reading reports elsewhere saying you definitely need the flattener even with relatively small CCD sensors.  That's why I ordered it with the scope.  It shouldn't be too long before I get the right spacing for the flattener now and could well be ready for when the next clear night comes along :D

Can't you go from the FF to the FW using a custom adapter?

Indeed you could.  An adapter with 65mm female thread to 54mm male thread and 18.9mm long by my reckoning.

Indeed you could.  An adapter with 65mm female thread to 54mm male thread and 18.9mm long by my reckoning.

If you go for that, get a couple of spacers made too, to allow maybe +/- 2mm either side, 

Archived