Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

star processing GURUS please!

there was no UN-sharpping used  :confused: i tried it with and without and still got the same result

I see, can't help much more then without knowing the exact workflow and having the original image to work on.

It would then be possible to follow it through and see where the issue occurs :) 

Well, ive had a look and got something out of it - but as usual SGL refuses to accept any uploads, regardless of the internet connection used or software used to save it off, very frustrating. I dont get this problem anywhere else.

Error IO, for the millionth time! :(

having a nightmare trying to learn how to process my stars. http://starizona.com/acb/ccd/procadvsuper.aspx this is the guide im following but i keep getting these wicked halos and no matter what i do i cant stop it :mad:  can any one help me please

Dan

Hi Dan,

The image is very nice and the data is clean , here is a quick workout in StarTools and a little Star reduction in PS. I have not even bothered with noise reduction or halo removal. It does not need any messing about. I am not familliar with the routine in Starizona so I can't comment on that. The image needed a bit of crop that is all.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-97996800-1379375729_thumb.p

I disagree with the Ps star masking routines I've seen on the net though I haven't seen that many.

What I do:

Starting with linear, create copy layer and layer mask and copy and paste the linear onto the mask. Don't invert it yet.

Stretch the image on the mask once to enlarge the stars to something like the final size you'd like to see them, or a bit smaller.

Black clip this image until any nebulosity is removed.

Invert it with Ctrl I.

Gaussian blur it, maybe by 1 to 1.5.

The mask is now finished.

Stretch the top layer image as usual but watch the stars. If you stretch too far they will show all sorts of artefacts so easy does it. I rarely get a successful second stretch from the mask so I flatten and accept that the mask has done what it can. You can try to make a second mask or use the select_midify_expand routine to enlarge the mask's stars for a second stretch if you fancy.

The thing about star masks is that you shouldn't ask too much of them. Then can protect stars from bloat only up to a point.

I'm using premium optics which don't scatter or bloat much so I don't have much outlying halo not protected by the mask. 

Olly

Archived