Cygnus & Lyra widefield

Cygnus and Lyra taken at my club's Astro camp September 2013.

Canon 40D modified mounted on an Astrotrac. 12 x 5 min subs at iso 800 through a 24-105 lens set at 24mm. I did also try 12 x 2 min and 12 x 10 min but they didn't come out so well.

Cygnus-wide.jpg

Cygnus-wide-labels.jpg

A mouse-over image can be seen at

http://astrosnaps.co.uk/Cygnus.html

Dave

That is absolutely fabulous im just looking at it and wondering when i get to a dark sky im used to light polluted skies i wont be able pick out the constellations.

The brighter stars are far more obvious to the naked eye than on the pics above so you should have no problem. Thanks for the comment.

Dave

Thanks Peter.

@Jarrod - I have been reading views lately that darks can cause more noise as it is difficult to properly match the temperature, So this is my first experiment at not using darks, just bias - and it seems to have paid off. As there don't seem to be any dust bunnies I could do flats at any time but I'm not sure that there is any significant vignetting so haven't bothered.

Dave

Thanks Peter.

@Jarrod - I have been reading views lately that darks can cause more noise as it is difficult to properly match the temperature, So this is my first experiment at not using darks, just bias - and it seems to have paid off. As there don't seem to be any dust bunnies I could do flats at any time but I'm not sure that there is any significant vignetting so haven't bothered.

Dave

That would make sense in theory I suppose so there is certainly no harm in putting it to the test  and the result is definitely a positive one.

Can you point us to any discussions, I wouldn't mind giving it a read.

I have to deal with temps at or above 20°C at night until winter kicks in so taking darks seems like a neccessity.

Archived