Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW 100ED vs. SW Equinox 100ED vs. Ostara 102ED

Hello there,

I'm in the process of adding a little bit of power to my portability, meaning I'm replacing the the 80ED with either one of the following:

1. Sky-watcher Evostar 100ED 2- Sky-watcher Equinox 100ED 3- Ostara 102ED

I generally understand the pros and cons of each - was hoping somebody might help me make the decision:

1- The SW 100ED is the cheapest of all (£625). I just find it a bit long for a portable refractor - I think 96cm. My Individual - 152/900 is 65cm with the dew cap retracted - and the typical SW rings (like those of the 80ED) are not really my cup of tea...too flimsy sometimes. I heard a lot of great t hings about its performance though.

2- The Equinox is more expensive (£780 +), better built (including CNC chunky rings) and unfortunately doesn't come with eyepieces, finder scope or a diagonal. I'm just guessing it's optics are the same as the 100ED, but they say it's custom built for visual observing in mind - not sure what makes it different though.

3- The Ostara 102 ED (most expensive at £890 + -- significant discounts around) is the most compact of all (in my book this is a BIG plus). It comes with hard-core accessories including RACI finder, solid case, 32mm WF eyepiece, CNC rings and also has a slightly bigger aperture than the other 2 above. The problem is it's a bit expensive. I'd like to take the plunge and break the bank, but I want to sure if the 100ED for example is worth the effort.

Thoughts will be appreciated.

Emad

post-27451-0-59648800-1379060133_thumb.j

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Equinox is essentially the same (optically) as the SW100ED, and both are at f9, and feature the same glass type in the objective. Both should be excellent visual scopes. The dew shield on the equinox will retract though, making it easier/shorter to lug about.Both come in cases. The glass in the Ostara is not the same spec as in the SW scopes; it is FPL51 as opposed to 53, but what might matter more is the figure of the objectives and overall build quality and reliability. The Ostara is similar in build and spec to the Starwave 102 ED I had a year ago - generally good build quality, with a decent and robust focuser, and shorter focal length than the two Skywatchers (f7.5 if memory serves). In my view, the Ostara wasn't as good visually as the Skywatcher equinox 80 I have (allowing for aperture), and I felt the colour correction left a little to be desired for an ED scope.

You've probably seen the initial review of the Ostara by another member? http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/193614-unboxing-and-first-impressions-ostara-102ed-apo-refractor/

I've I were to make the choice today, and was purely buying for visual work I'd be tempted by the SW100ED package, which represents excellent value for money for an excellent tried and test optical system ( or the Equinox if I had the spare cash and already had the accessories I'd need).

Thanks Mark. That's useful to know. I think I'm closer to the 100ED at the moment, I'm still worried about the length of the tube though. I agree for an overall value, the 100ED wins...

I too believe the Starwave 102ED is the same as the Ostara like you say. Apart from falling short in colour correction, how the did the Starwave 102ED perform in terms of resolution and image quality?

What significant gain will I have with the 100ED over the 80ED? More resolving /power...etc?

I think you might struggle to see a significant difference moving from a nice 80mm up to a 100mm scope. I think if it were me I would be looking at a 120mm, of course these are bigger but still reasonably manageable. Although a 120mm ed would be a big jump in cost it may be possible to avoid this by buying an achro. I was pleasantly surprised by a friends celestron omni 120 xlt this Monday evening when it had its first light test. it out performed a 6" Mak on globular clusters and got worryingly close to a 7" Mak newt. You can buy the scope with a mount for just over £400. :smiley:

I think you might struggle to see a significant difference moving from a nice 80mm up to a 100mm scope. I think if it were me I would be looking at a 120mm, of course these are bigger but still reasonably manageable. Although a 120mm ed would be a big jump in cost it may be possible to avoid this by buying an achro. I was pleasantly surprised by a friends celestron omni 120 xlt this Monday evening when it had its first light test. it out performed a 6" Mak on globular clusters and got worryingly close to a 7" Mak newt. You can buy the scope with a mount for just over £400. :smiley:

I do have a high end 6" achro and I love it. If I go for £120ED - price aside - I won't have much of a gap to bridge between the 120mm and 152mm...plus I'll be again compromised on protability.

This would be any easy one for me as portability is key: the light Evo100ED.

The Evo100ED is indeed long, which was a concern when I bought it as a portable scope, but in practice it doesn't really cause a nuisance for me. The key thing for me is the footprint is small as I store it upright in its case, and it's so lightweight for its size. My Equinox 120, on the other hand, feels a relatively heavy and slighty cumbersome beast (though I love it to bits) - I guess a combo of the heavier weight and still quite a long tube.

My Evo100 is a joy to use as a portable scope. Bang on the money weight-wise as it feels no effort to move around, and same optics as the Equinox. I use my Evo mainly on a Giro 3 mount, often dual-mounted with a SolarMax 60 scope, for solar viewing in white light and hydrogen alpha. Low hassle viewing aplenty :)

For me one the plusses of the Equinox is questionnable - the better focuser. Some people still feel the need to upgrade it, though you'll probably find plenty of people who wonder what the fuss is who get on fine with their focuser. I personally have just replaced my Equinox focuser, I found it slipped under heavy load despite having tightened it up (it was fine for a while but has gradually loosened again - I don't fancy repeating this every week, even though it takes a few seconds - perhaps it's just my one - but I am very happy with the Equinox overall considering the price and quality).

The 120 does give better views when the conditions are right, but the Evo is my grab and go and gets a ton of use.

You may or may not feel the need to upgrade the focuser (I believe you can do a mod though if you need to firm it up), but it's still a good buy even if you splash out on a fancy focuser. We sometimes moan about focusers without maybe being fair to the cost of the scope. I upgraded my focuser to a Baader Steeltrack, I can't remember why but I ran into some issue with the stock focuser.

Regarding the ED100, if one removed the focuser and dew shield (not sure if either is possible) then how long would it be? If it can be made less than 65cm, I think I'd get it in airline hand luggage with some airlines. Also, if one wanted to shorten the OTA (for binoviewer use) how would this be done?

This would be any easy one for me as portability is key: the light Evo100ED.

You may or may not feel the need to upgrade the focuser (I believe you can do a mod though if you need to firm it up), but it's still a good buy even if you splash out on a fancy focuser. We sometimes moan about focusers without maybe being fair to the cost of the scope. I upgraded my focuser to a Baader Steeltrack, I can't remember why but I ran into some issue with the stock focuser.

There has been a lot of fuss about the 80ED focuser as well. I have to say it got stuck on several occasions, but never considered that to be much of a problem. A little big of tightening of hex screws solved the problem.

I think the 100Ed and 120ED have the same focuser as the 80ED, so expected issues will be similar.

From my experience of an 80mm and the 100mm fracs if I had an 80 I would not bother with the small leap to the 100, a 120 yes.

You say it is to add a little bit of power to your portability and yep! that is all you are going to get, a little bit. If however it is because you just have the need to try out more gear for the fun of buying something new then that is different, a bit like woman and shoes I suppose.. :laugh:

You do have (well kind of at the mo :) ) the dual giro, instead why not get the 150P DS you could then mount the ED80 and the 150 side by side on the giro which would make a rather nice sweet rig giving you two easy to handle scopes. Or maybe instead the skymax 150 pro.

What are you going to observe mostly with scope?

My experience is different to foundaplanet, I find a significant difference between 80 and 100,

If I had three fracs it would probably be 80, 100 as the general low hassle workhorse, and then something big and bulky for the best viewing, which for me maxes out at 120. It would be a Tec140 if I had the funds.

The 100 is a bit like my 10 inch dob in that it's not my biggest scope of that type, but it gets used so much for a sweet balance between amount of effort and the views it gives. :)

I think the 100ED will definitely add a bit more power and yet keep portability possible. However, from my experience...any refractor 120mm plus will get notably heavy and thus reduces portability. I've got the Individual 152mm refractor and despite it's short tube, it's still too heavy to be portable. This is the telescope I'm planning on mounting next to 100ED or Ostara 102ED. Considering either scopes weight it'll balance the 6" frac on the giro just fine.

Luke, my main goal is DSOs...my C11 on the other hand is there to kill planets (not literally :D ) ... I find refractors work better with DSOs. I know a lot of the guys here will jump on my throat for saying that, but it's down to personal preference I guess. :)

I noticed that now a matching focal reducer is included in the 100ED pro package. Not sure if this will be of any use for me for visual though.

For me, I've found my ED102 provides "very nice" views of quite a lot of objects and, because of it's relatively fast focal ratio, really interesting views of extended DSO's such as the Veil Nebula. I tend to feel though, for planetary and lunar viewing, I need a scope that will comfortably support 200x - £250x and preferably towards the upper end of that and thats where the additional aperture of the ED120 comes in. The more subtle planetary and lunar details become more readily accessible with the 120 and consequently viewing such targets becomes more engrossing and fulfilling, to me anyway. I'd not call the ED120 remotely "airline portable" though and the ED102 only marginally so, with the dew shield removed.

For viewing DSO's in any serious way (which I don't do much) I'd go for 6" plus in the newtonian format.

The needs for imaging are quite different from the above I reckon but I don't do that.

I hit most of my Messier objects with the 80ED, I just loved how you can push this little boy over the limits and still performs well. So upgrading to a bigger aperture, yet portable, is the natural thing to do for me.

My 80ED was sold last night, and now there's no way back but rather forward towards a the 100ED or the Ostara 102mm...funny enough I feel some sort of emotional connection to that 80ED. I will see what else to sell to raise more fund :D I'm just looking at my baby girl at the moment... :D :D

For me, I've found my ED102 provides "very nice" views of quite a lot of objects and, because of it's relatively fast focal ratio, really interesting views of extended DSO's such as the Veil Nebula. I tend to feel though, for planetary and lunar viewing, I need a scope that will comfortably support 200x - £250x and preferably towards the upper end of that and thats where the additional aperture of the ED120 comes in. The more subtle planetary and lunar details become more readily accessible with the 120 and consequently viewing such targets becomes more engrossing and fulfilling, to me anyway. I'd not call the ED120 remotely "airline portable" though and the ED102 only marginally so, with the dew shield removed.

For viewing DSO's in any serious way (which I don't do much) I'd go for 6" plus in the newtonian format.

The needs for imaging are quite different from the above I reckon but I don't do that.

John, if you don't mind me asking, what's the make of your 102ED?

Ah, it's more solar system I use my ED100 for, and a few of the bright DSO's, as I tend to use my dob for DSOs. I must admit I don't quite get why massive aperture with a reflector doesn't do it for you with DSO's, but personal preference is a huge factor in these things, and gotta love views through a frac, there is a magic to them :) (wonder if Moonshane ever uses an aperture mask for DSO???)

Not sure if the reducer will help with visual, no idea if it can say help you get a super wide view??

For imaging I think it makes the ED100 capable at F7.65 as well as correcting the view, though I suppose it is still too slow for the super fast imagers. I will certainly be giving mine a crack this season :)

I think my Equninox focuser might have been okay if I wasn't sticking a heavy Herschel wedge and bino viewer on it, that doesn't half seem to weigh down on things.

Luke, my main goal is DSOs...my C11 on the other hand is there to kill planets (not literally :D ) ... I find refractors work better with DSOs. I know a lot of the guys here will jump on my throat for saying that, but it's down to personal preference I guess. :)

I noticed that now a matching focal reducer is included in the 100ED pro package. Not sure if this will be of any use for me for visual though.

Ah, it's more solar system I use my ED100 for, and a few of the bright DSO's, as I tend to use my dob for DSOs. I must admit I don't quite get why massive aperture with a reflector doesn't do it for you with DSO's, but personal preference is a huge factor in these things, and gotta love views through a frac, there is a magic to them :) (wonder if Moonshane ever uses an aperture mask for DSO???)

Not sure if the reducer will help with visual, no idea if it can say help you get a super wide view??

For imaging I think it makes the ED100 capable at F7.65 as well as correcting the view, though I suppose it is still too slow for the super fast imagers. I will certainly be giving mine a crack this season :)

I think my Equninox focuser might have been okay if I wasn't sticking a heavy Herschel wedge and bino viewer on it, that doesn't half seem to weigh down on things.

There's an element of practicality involved. See, for me most of observing is DSOs, and for that I need a quick set-up. Lugging my C11 every time I wanted to have a short session is not always an option. I can see myself using a bigger aperture more frequently if I had an observatory since the C11 will be permanently mounted - but for the time being this is on the waiting list unfortunately.

John, if you don't mind me asking, what's the make of your 102ED?

It's a Vixen, the model is the ED102SS but it's been out of production for a decade and the current Vixen's, though good, are very expensive to buy new. The nearest current equivalent at a more reasonable price would be something like the Ostar 102 ED I reckon.

I don't use the scope that much to be honest but it's rather rare and I know I'd regret it if I parted with it.

It's a Vixen, the model is the ED102SS but it's been out of production for a decade and the current Vixen's, though good, are very expensive to buy new. The nearest current equivalent at a more reasonable price would be something like the Ostar 102 ED I reckon.

I don't use the scope that much to be honest but it's rather rare and I know I'd regret it if I parted with it.

I was looking on some vixen refractors the other day, and like you say...the Ostara 102ED is very close. I can see you also emotional connections to your gear :)

Hello there,

I'm in the process of adding a little bit of power to my portability, meaning I'm replacing the the 80ED with either one of the following:

1. Sky-watcher Evostar 100ED 2- Sky-watcher Equinox 100ED 3- Ostara 102ED

I generally understand the pros and cons of each - was hoping somebody might help me make the decision:

1- The SW 100ED is the cheapest of all (£625). I just find it a bit long for a portable refractor - I think 96cm. My Individual - 152/900 is 65cm with the dew cap retracted - and the typical SW rings (like those of the 80ED) are not really my cup of tea...too flimsy sometimes. I heard a lot of great t hings about its performance though.

2- The Equinox is more expensive (£780 +), better built (including CNC chunky rings) and unfortunately doesn't come with eyepieces, finder scope or a diagonal. I'm just guessing it's optics are the same as the 100ED, but they say it's custom built for visual observing in mind - not sure what makes it different though.

3- The Ostara 102 ED (most expensive at £890 + -- significant discounts around) is the most compact of all (in my book this is a BIG plus). It comes with hard-core accessories including RACI finder, solid case, 32mm WF eyepiece, CNC rings and also has a slightly bigger aperture than the other 2 above. The problem is it's a bit expensive. I'd like to take the plunge and break the bank, but I want to sure if the 100ED for example is worth the effort.

Thoughts will be appreciated.

Emad

when you say power, do you mean magnification? if this is the case then for good aperture, magnification and portability, why not think about a small Mak? you could then probably keep your 80ED and use both on your giro. the 80ED could be for as your scope is cooling and the Mak (maybe a 127mm) for higher power once cooled.

when you say power, do you mean magnification? if this is the case then for good aperture, magnification and portability, why not think about a small Mak? you could then probably keep your 80ED and use both on your giro. the 80ED could be for as your scope is cooling and the Mak (maybe a 127mm) for higher power once cooled.

That would be quite a fab set up really, an 80 ed and a 150 mak both on a giro would be pretty darn lovely and probably the perfect portable set up..

I'm afraid this is not an option anymore...the 80ED was sold. More power includes resolution, resolving power and light collection and of course magnification...

I prefer the wide rich field a refractor provides though. Having said that, I'm also considering adding this Mak or its smaller brother the Mak 127 to my arsenal. But not either or . :)

Archived