Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW 100ED vs. SW Equinox 100ED vs. Ostara 102ED

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did understand the question but surely a jump in aperture of 20mm (although I suppose it's 25% that said) will not really be worth the effort associated if you are looking for noticeable increases in the aspects you mentioned and portability is a key issue for you. maybe it's the dob lover in me but I'd not bother going from a 130mm newt to a 150mm newt either.

different scopes for different folks I suppose.

ps

please don't misunderstand me, I am just trying to help you avoid disappointment and regret which might potentially happen with your proposed changes. all I can do is say what I think on the subject based on my experience. I have had a 120mm f8.3 refractor (albeit a good achro) and the views through this were far inferior to any dob I have looked through of 8" or more.

I did understand the question but surely a jump in aperture of 20mm (although I suppose it's 25% that said) will not really be worth the effort associated if you are looking for noticeable increases in the aspects you mentioned and portability is a key issue for you. maybe it's the dob lover in me but I'd not bother going from a 130mm newt to a 150mm newt either.

different scopes for different folks I suppose.

Oh, sorry...I meant to say..''did I understand your question correctly?"...Doh!! Apologies for the misunderstanding. .

As a matter of fact, I was thinking in case I sell the C11 I'd get a 10" dob as well - back-up aperture fever -...my main concern is how long it takes to get used to Dobsonians. I totally agree they produce magnificent views though. I had a SW 200P and it was very nice for planets and DSOs, but I found it awkward to point to the right direction considering the eyepiece is on the side. Probably it's a matter of getting used to.

You have already sold the ED80, wow you move fast.. :eek:

I just mentioned that to somebody and said he was interested. I had to call off the sale after a day, but last night somebody else picked it up...yep, fast. I had no choice really...but hopefully for good.

What about one of these, I understand its the same as my Ikharus 102ED from Ian King imaging, overall length 22.5" with shield retracted, mine does have the 3" focuser mod though

http://www.altairast...productid=16473

Great scope compared to my Equinox 80.

post-13264-0-30325000-1379160686_thumb.j

Absolutely - this one is on my list as well. How do you find it in general?

Wow Emad, I'm really struggling to follow your posts..lol. one minute you only want to own one scope....then more...sell the c11...don't sell the c11...I want a dob....I'm a frac man....

I'm not having a go at you in any way....I'm only mentioning this to point out that maybe before you spend any more money ( it's too hard to come by) that maybe you sit down and really think about what it is you want. Whatever you decide, I hope you will be happy with your decision, and at the end of the day only you can know what you really want. :)

Works really well with my TV plossls, not had anything exotic (Pentax / Nagler) in it yet.

Baader Hyperions also work well but suffer with fall off towards the edge (ep design not this scope)

As a grab and go I now grab this instead of the Equinox 80, but I also have to grab a better tripod as its more heavier!

Love its compactness, views and excellent build quality

Noticed a good increase in contrast when I flocked it as well, simple job but well worth it.

Wow Emad, I'm really struggling to follow your posts..lol. one minute you only want to own one scope....then more...sell the c11...don't sell the c11...I want a dob....I'm a frac man....

I'm not having a go at you in any way....I'm only mentioning this to point out that maybe before you spend any more money ( it's too hard to come by) that maybe you sit down and really think about what it is you want. Whatever you decide, I hope you will be happy with your decision, and at the end of the day only you can know what you really want. :)

No worries, mate. I think there's some misunderstanding.

I want a bigger aperture ED -- that's the main thing for now.

I do have my C11 for sale, I'm not desperate though. If it sells..it sells, otherwise, I'll continue using it - even though it doesn't see much use these days. If it sells, I could use some extra cash to put aside in case I'm hit by aperture fever - then the cheapest option is a dob. There's a possibility of borrowing a dob from somebody to have a drive before deciding though since I'm not a reflector fan. The rest of the cash should go for some stuff around the house. So basically selling the C11 is not crucial really. I already saved up and raised some fund for the 102ED...just awaiting the payday to plug the little gap left :)

I know I'm confusing at this point...I'm just not good at making my point clearly :)

dobs take maybe five minutes to get used to and that was with my 10 year old year 5's in my astro club. I have them lining it up themselves on Jupiter with my Telrad and optical finder in no time. I hate newts (scopes actually) on EQ mounts for visual and I suspect that was your problem last time. the only thing that varies with regard to eyepiece/focuser on a dob (like your giro) is the height.

dobs take maybe five minutes to get used to and that was with my 10 year old year 5's in my astro club. I have them lining it up themselves on Jupiter with my Telrad and optical finder in no time. I hate newts (scopes actually) on EQ mounts for visual and I suspect that was your problem last time. the only thing that varies with regard to eyepiece/focuser on a dob (like your giro) is the height.

That's comforting to know...

When you want some more aperture again, you could just get a newtonian optical tube and mount it on your Giro. I used to to that with a 10" Orion Optics tube and it worked well. The eyepiece was at a nicer height than you generally get with dobs too:

post-118-0-44695400-1379202176_thumb.jpg

Does anybody by any chance have a 110ED refractor? I noticed that there are a bunch of reasonably priced ones out there -  such as the StarWave. I understand the OTA and rings weigh about 6Kg as opposed to 4Kg with the 102ED , I wonder how practical that is as far as portability is concerned.

I have 115mm TS triplet and to be honest the weight gain is not bad at 6.4Kg wether 110mm TS ED APO is around 5.9Kg, not much of gain and the 115mm is still pretty compact, however I love to have bought the 130mm TS triplet variant but it's a totally a different beast, it weighs 10.6Kg and it's much longer at 850mm (with dew shield folded in) and the TS 115mm is 720mm (with dew shield folded in) so it's not an idea size scope of 130mm to be portable! That's why got the 115mm instead. Again you must be careful on the sizes a slight gain of apeture, means a huge difference in weight which will require a much heavy duty mount, So be careful that you don't catch apeture fever?? Again what's wrong with your 80mm ED which delivers excellent imges, I would rather use that scope for portability than my 115mm which I still have mount it on my NEQ-6 mount which is not that portable compared to the EQ-5 mount which I mount my 80 ED Lunt apo on there which is my portable set-up! Again as soon as you go passed 100mm mark the weight is jumped up massively and the portability drops massively!! Just be careful what choose Emadmoussa! Selecting a bigger ED refractor might not be a wise choice??? But it's upto you mate personally I feel you already got a decent set-up as it is mate?? I would save the money and invest in a decent Mono/OSC CCD like a QHY or a ATIK! 

I have 115mm TS triplet and to be honest the weight gain is not bad at 6.4Kg wether 110mm TS ED APO is around 5.9Kg, not much of gain and the 115mm is still pretty compact, however I love to have bought the 130mm TS triplet variant but it's a totally a different beast, it weighs 10.6Kg and it's much longer at 850mm (with dew shield folded in) and the TS 115mm is 720mm (with dew shield folded in) so it's not an idea size scope of 130mm to be portable! That's why got the 115mm instead. Again you must be careful on the sizes a slight gain of apeture, means a huge difference in weight which will require a much heavy duty mount, So be careful that you don't catch apeture fever?? Again what's wrong with your 80mm ED which delivers excellent imges, I would rather use that scope for portability than my 115mm which I still have mount it on my NEQ-6 mount which is not that portable compared to the EQ-5 mount which I mount my 80 ED Lunt apo on there which is my portable set-up! Again as soon as you go passed 100mm mark the weight is jumped up massively and the portability drops massively!! Just be careful what choose Emadmoussa! Selecting a bigger ED refractor might not be a wise choice??? But it's upto you mate personally I feel you already got a decent set-up as it is mate?? I would save the money and invest in a decent Mono/OSC CCD like a QHY or a ATIK! 

I don't have the 80ED anymore. I'm morel likely to get the StarWave 102ED...it's an excellent Doublet for the price.

Yes, that's why I was asking. I figured the 110ED would be a significant increase in weight over the 102ED...so is the story with refractors :)

My Vixen ED102SS is just 3.5kg. The ED120 is a lot heavier - around 6kg I reckon. The 10" F/4.8 Orion Optics newt optical tube weighed 11kg and the 12" F/5.3 I now have is 16kg which is light for a 12" newtonian OTA. 

My Istar 6" F/12 is around the same as the 12" newt but is 6.5 feet long - definitely not airline portable !

Archived