Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

exmoor camping 6" dob oh my God!

Timbo32

I live just off exmoor in Bideford and thought I was blessed with good dark skies! But exmoor was something else! I just didn't know where to point the scope first! It was AMAZING! I feel better now I got that off my chest!

hope you have a nice time and clear skies on your holiday to skye.

Exmoor was beautifully dark james as i said before i live less than 50 miles from Exmoor and it was like looking at a different sky!.. if you get what i mean;)

Also it was the first time i have looked through a 6" telescope, i hired it from Seb at dark sky telescope hire, only cost £25 for the night!

It was i big step up from my little Celestron Firstscope! i took along my barlow and 12mm plossi and the scope came with a 10mm and 25mm super wide view and they were great!

had some lovelly views of jupiter and even some cloud bands! andromeda, orion nebula and loads of clusters, the 25mm was great to sweep around the sky!

just need to save my pennies to get myself a nice scope now!!!

Clear Skies Tim

• 1 month later...

and... you don't need to go all the way out to Exmoor either - I am 6 miles out of Bideford and it is proper dark skies here :evil:

Yep this is so true, just a short 20 minute drive out of town and you will see twice as much! :)

Sounds great  :smiley:

Reminds me of a great night that Mark (at Beaufort) and I had with 6" scopes at the SGL star party a few years back. We were picking up some really faint galaxies for the aperture that night and the showpiece DSO's looked stunning  :smiley:

Hi Tim,

Keep an eye on ebay as well.

I just got an excellent telescope for only £21 :grin:

and... you don't need to go all the way out to Exmoor either - I am 6 miles out of Bideford and it is proper dark skies here :evil:

hi bambuko, yeah we are blessed with the skies around this area, i live next to the tarka trail and wonder up it with my firstscope and some bins as much as i can!!

Yep this is so true, just a short 20 minute drive out of town and you will see twice as much! :)

yes it is amazing a short walk/drive will make to the darkness of the sky!

Sounds fantastic Tim. Can I ask what campsite you satyed at? Myself and simonfromsussex are looking at getting down that way before too long to get some "proper dark" viewing in.

we stayed at wester mill farm camp site here are the contact details Westermill Farm House

Exford

Nr Minehead

Somerset

TA24 7NJ

Clear Skies Tim :)

Archived