Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy on a (miniscule) budget

While waiting for my replacement EQ3-2 mount ( see the story here) I couldn't resist looking for another toy on ebay :tongue:

£ 21 later I was a proud owner of an old and tatty TAL-1.

I must admit the seller's description was fair - "...wear to the mirror, paint scratched etc..." but, when I had a look at it (it was local collection) I started having doubts about my wisdom :rolleyes:

Anyway, it was mine now, so took it all apart - wear to the mirror was actually the three mirror holder brackets :grin: , crud from the surface came off easily in a wash, revealing immaculate mirror.

There were two eyepieces, barlow and cross-hair piece. Mount again, though grotty, works perfectly.

Focuser will need adjusting and I might eventually make a new one to accept standard 1.25" eyepieces, but for now I intend to have fun for silly money.

First thing to make was collimator/cheshire to suit 32mm focuser (if I ever convert to 1.25" it is an easy matter to turn it down to that diameter). This is progressing as we speak.

And here is the beast from the east :grin:

IMG_7502.jpg

IMG_7503.jpg

So, you don't need a fortune to get started!

You are a lucky man, well done. Now why is it that such bargains never turn up for me on ebay :dontknow:  Mind you, last week  I almost scored a tv plossl twice, but the bay being the bay some people are almost prepared to pay 5 - 10 pounds of the full price. I suppose TVs do not come in bargains :smiley:

And the mount is not too shabby either :grin:

Yes, I am all excited.

The only (minor) challenge will be 32mm focuser.

Some people move the primary mirror forward, but I am hoping to make low profile Crayford.

For now though the two eyepieces (15mm and 25mm) with x3 Barlow will do me nicely.

Just managed to have quick look at the moon few minutes ago (in between the clouds) - tried 15mm (about x50).

Very nice indeed.
The only disappointment was Barlow, which turned out to be in bad condition :embarrassed:

At last... my first night out wit TAL.

I have expected it to be good, but it was a lot better than that!

Even with the limitation of just two eypieces and u/s barlow...

Jupiter with it four moons seen through 15mm eyepiece was crisper and better that what I was ever able to see on my Skywatcher 150p :grin:

I know I had problems with EQ3-2 mount, but old Soviet mount was also a revelation - so much more stable and pleasure to use.

All in all, if I knew what I know now, I could have saved myself couple of hundred £ :kiss: and started with old TAL...

Fun is not always directly related to amount of money you spend :rolleyes:

...£21 is only a couple of beers these days, or a bottle of decent(ish) wine.

It might be the case in Shanghai (which I remember as rather an expensive place :grin: ) but it is not quite as bad as this in my local.

Archived