Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brian Cox

Matt Scunthorpe

I'm just watching Brians 'wonder of the Solar System'. Its a show i have seen probably 5-6 times plus own on DVD, but everytime i watch it, i'm just mesmerised by all the details in his programes and just makes me fall in love with Astronomy again and makes me want to get out there (even though i am layed on the sofa on a cloudless night!)

The way he explains things is brilliant as well. Explains it in simple mans terms in a way i can understand it.

I do hope they bring out some new programes soon.

Matt.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The quality of Spanish TV is so good, we don't get the opportunity to watch documentaries such as those of Mr. Cox. But, by complete surprise, my brother sent me a box set of his 'wonders' last Friday and I'm blown away by the quality of production, the attention to sound, Cox's own enthusiasm and the level of scripted detail. It's a really lovely series and it comes as no surprise why it was so popular in the UK and else where.

The quality of Spanish TV is so good, we don't get the opportunity to watch documentaries such as those of Mr. Cox. But, by complete surprise, my brother sent me a box set of his 'wonders' last Friday and I'm blown away by the quality of production, the attention to sound, Cox's own enthusiasm and the level of scripted detail. It's a really lovely series and it comes as no surprise why it was so popular in the UK and else where.

The BBC do do some very nice tele on rare occasions (the wonders series are BBC based). The trouble is the rarity is getting more rare as time goes by :(

The fact that ITV (a commercial channel in the UK) recently got a so called 'channel of the year' award means where ever that award came from is/was somewhat fixed/corrupted/paid-off.

I was surprised how old Mr Cox is, I thought he was about 30 :smiley:

What do you mean 'old' ? ;)

Some people age more quickly than others, and visa-versa. 'Old' Brian is looking good for his age I guess (if you don't look to closely), but that's the trend these days - people are ageing more slowly than what used to be the case a century or two ago.

Some people age more quickly than others, and visa-versa. 'Old' Brian is looking good for his age I guess (if you don't look to closely), but that's the trend these days - people are ageing more slowly than what used to be the case a century or two ago.

Only compared to 30 :smiley:

I too was massively influenced to get properly into astronomy by the Wonders series. A large part due to the segment where he photographs one of the oldest galaxies (I think, been a while since I've watched it). That and the quality of the CGI is utterly amazing. I tried watching a documentary on jupiter on one of the discovery channels a couple of days ago but the graphics looked like they had been done by a 10 year old using an Acorn (anyone remember them?). When the BBC do pull their fingers out they can do some great things.

What amazes me most is that he was in that appallingly bad 90's group D-ream. I love Brian Cox's program, the guy is a genius and one of my favourites to watch, his enthusiasm is contagious and he clearly is excited about what he is talking about.

He's 4 years younger than me but looks 15 years younger and I'm ok for my age! At 30 I looked like 20!

In fact I didn't start aging until my mid 30's when I started my own business, employing people and stuff :(

So I'm guessing it's a lack of work and stress that keeps him looking young.

So my conclusion is that getting a proper job would bring him down to earth a bit !! :D

For him Things Can Only Get Better....it's like a D-Ream :D

Sorry peeps, too much coffee too early....

I wish I had it on BluRay.

Does anyone listen to the Infinite Monkey Cage he does with Robin Ince? There are some moments of pure genius on that show, especially the episode with Brian Blessed.

Listend to all the IMC broadcastings. The podcasts are available here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...sts/series/timc

Recommend anyone who hasn't listened to these, should! they're great.

EDIT: I got the wonder blu ray in tesco. It was on their bargain shelf fo £7 I think!

Hey, Brian Cox has a wife... Gia Milinovic. Not unexpectedly a sometime collaborator and BBC producer? ;)

Apparently, she thought he was "gay" (a dillitante?) until she saw the CERN Email address. LOL.

Hmmm... I do wish *my* erstwhile CERN Email address had such a galvanic effect on "chicks". :D

He is an EXCELLENT Presenter / Ambassador for Science. But also one of MANY? It might be remembered

that CERN physicists also produce anything from Mozart string quartets to DEATH METAL bands too! :evil:

Do Listen to his brilliant GCSE "Star Lecture" Series. Doing what he does best?

I do wish he would stop tweeting the "nobber" rubbish though. Science is for nobbers to! But, like many Science Twitterers, he believes we really want to know how much beer / pizza he (still) consumes? :)

Aside: I do wish "Popular Scientists" would leave out the "religion & politics" stuff.

Frankly, so much of it is inconsistent and oddball. Let's promote SCIENCE. I feel

no more desire to attend a BBC "Science Bootcamp" than past Sunday School...

I admit I have never listened to "Unchained Monkeys" - The "Top Gear" of Science? :p

Infinite Monkey Cage is a format of Brian Cox, Paul Ince (comedian who isn't stupid) and a panel of experts, usually 3. They discuss some theory or other that's at the cutting edge of science in quite involved and deep theoretical discussion but always with an air of humour to keep it fun. It's all recorded in front of a live audience so there is geniune laughter and even interaction from the crowd. I found them quite good actually.

I think I recall on a few of the episodes one of the experts is a relgious guy, not sure what rank or religion (Christian or Catholic) and he had some excellent comments. I'm not in any way religious and it's always been a curiosity of mine what point of view people who are deeply religious have of science and this panel member gave me some really good insights into it.

I'm not in any way religious and it's always been a curiosity of mine what point of view people who are deeply religious have of science and this panel member gave me some really good insights into it.
I may yet listen to their program? LOL. I'm with you 100% on the above. I did TEASE Robin Ince (he is no slouch, but a bit tiresome?) when I had a Twitter account. He "forwarded" my "skeptic of skeptics" viewpoint to his (not so) many "Skeptic" followers. I receive *supportive* Emails from the majority? Not his intended idea, I suspect, but... :p

There is one IMC episode where they bought on a religious person (a deacon or something I think) and everyone was expecting it to come down to a battle between him and Brian, but they actually ended up agreeing on alot more things than people thought. Irrespective of beliefs (I for one am not religious at all) everyone can give an informed opinion on science and how it affects us all.

Pretty soon Im expecting to find out that the OP is actually Brian Cox in disguise trying to do some undercover research on peoples opinions on him :D

When he's "Lord Cox of Chadderton" (whatever) he'll have to sit next to an Archbishop or two? LOL

I sense it won't cause him too much inconvenience... The "establishment" is the establishment! :p

Needs must, re. promotion of science - In a world that is still largely indifferent or hostile to us...

One of the things I really like about Brian Cox is that he comes across has having such a childlike infectious enthusiasm for science (and physics in particular), even when he's doing the simple stuff like estimating the power output of the Sun using a tin of water and a thermometer, or putting potassium in water. It's a rare thing these days to see people appear so passionate about what they do and able to communicate it so well, and more's the pity.

He has perhaps become something of a "poster boy" for science in the media over the last five years and we shouldn't forget that there are a fair number of other good scientist presenters, but that's the media-driven world we live in. Better that than none at all, I think. The problem of course is that now he has supped with the media circus devil he is stuck with playing along. It's not something that appeals to me.

James

I agree with James about the media thing.

In some of his shows, he sometimes uses a handheld video recorder for filming certain segments, and sometimes you get the impression that its just him and a single cameraman filming something.

Then in some other shows, he's jetting to the otherside of the world so he can look at a piece of rock or a tree which was affected by a meteor etc. Its interesting, but for the 10seconds you see it, its not really worth it the trip and dramatic music that comes with it.

Matt.

Archived