MW from Cornwall

Had a great night out with a friend shooting widefield Milky Way pics last night.

We started the night at a place near one of my observing sites which had an old mine engine house for a bit of foreground interest but although this spot is pretty dark at the zenith 6.2LM the light pollution from Plymouth spoiled the pics so we headed back to a beach location.

As you can see in the pics the LP on the horizon is pretty minimal with just a lightdome from Penzance 60 miles away.

More nights like that please!! :)

Both pics were-

f/2.8 / 6400iso / 40's

post-20821-0-59772200-1378059295_thumb.j

post-20821-0-22453200-1378059305_thumb.j

Thankyou Francis/James

I quite often feel torn between portrait or landscape images, I think I prefer the landscape one above but copme tomorrow morning I'II probably pick the portait one!

Another image from the start of the night, same camera setting as the above images.

post-20821-0-99389700-1378065192_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Cracking images, I like the 3rd shot.

I'm visiting Looe in a few weeks time and hoping to take some descent pics of the MW while down there and other stuff to (weather permitting). Having seen your pics i'm now filled with more enthusiasm and can't wait....

Regards Ady

Hi Mike,

Cracking images, I like the 3rd shot.

I'm visiting Looe in a few weeks time and hoping to take some descent pics of the MW while down there and other stuff to (weather permitting). Having seen your pics i'm now filled with more enthusiasm and can't wait....

Regards Ady

Hope I'm not too late in replying but my local dark site is only about 5 miles from Looe, if you'd like to know where it is or need any other help in finding a dark site close to Looe then drop me a PM.

what lens are you using, lovely shots!

Thanks, I use a Canon 6D and 14mm f/2.8 Samyang for all my night images.

Archived