Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which accessory you can't / can do without?

emadmoussa

Most useful accessory? For me it's a quilted German tank crew's overall. Looks a bit silly but it can be below freezing and I can happily stand still outside for hours in it, completely comfortable and warm.

Least useful? Bought a Celestron spotting scope as a quick grab-and-go, but it's just not the same as an astronomical instrument, even a small one. On a camera tripod it's really awkward if you want to look at anything above about 40 degrees up from the horizontal, and with no finder it's a real pain looking at anything that isn't the moon or Jupiter. Really haven't used it anywhere near enough to justify it, I expect it'll be on ebay soon. Having said that it was perfect with a solar filter to catch the Venus transit, but I'm not going to see another one of those so it might as well go.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd probably go for my 'observing chair' as my most useful accessory too, been a real revelation in terms of ease of viewing objects for extended periods of time through my dob. I looked at various expensive 'designed for astronomy' chairs, various rubbish ironing stools and in the end went for this gas powered adjustable height stool via Amazon for about £30. Although the merchant is in Germany, it came within a few days and has been perfect for the task.

Mind you, my wife did ask me what on earth I thought I was doing when she saw the "massage / beauty therapy" bit :grin:

Can do without - expensive RACI finder imported from the States - just couldn't get used to the right angle locating experience no matter how much I tried. Also, contrary to the vast majority of posters on SGL, Telrads - good concept but badly designed and cheaply made for the money. Also, the most unreliable piece of kit I ever owned (gave up after the second example broke). Am I the only Telrad critic on SGL?

Can't do without... My 15x50 IS binoculars. Also, Berlebach tripod (Uni 18) - can't beat wood for vibration supression.

Sold my Telrad and purchased a Rigel Quikfinder much smaller and lighter , perfect for my 8in SCT.

I bought a really solid adjustable chair but find it too heavy for moving about at night so wish i'd bought a lighter one.

Really like my raci finder. very usable on an sct, the straight through one it came with takes a double jointed back to use!

Favourite accessory has to be my swan 2in diagonal for SCTs. My 32mm 2in is amazing.

Love the chair Craig. Think that's within my skills - just. What dimensions are the main struts?

Sorry I have to admit that I shamelessly half inched that picture of the chair from google images! I haven't made one but it's on the to do list.

I've seen them in small sizes for use with smaller dobs, and also in much larger sizes for big/long scopes, where you can use the seat on the first two rails as a foot step, complete with handrail!

Craig

Archived