SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NIKON SOFTWARE

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a remote handset plugged into my Nikon, similar to this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qumox-Remote-Control-shutter-Release/dp/B00C1Y01T8/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1377260601&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=nikon+release Great results so far.

Adding even more technology to the system is only one more thing to go wrong, adding frustration, so this system suits me right down the ground.

I've heard so many say that software will become available that I now regard it as vapour ware.

Some of the internal hardware doesn't lend itself to external control.

Remote timers are, as suggested, the way to go I think.

Dave.

There's a program called 'control my Nikon' enter as one word when searching - at present will work single / multiple exposures to 30s. Will then work with the programmable timers to give bulb settings - rumoured to be being updated later in the year to bulb control as well (at $29 for the full current version its very good value)

ok so not much in the way of software then, i have one of them intervalometers which is very good, does most things that i want it to do in way so looking like will stick with that for now.

was hoping i could get away with sitting in the warm :D

Well, you can do the following as I understand it, this is probably where I'll end up as I get more time and monet available: Get an ASCOM platform PC. Get a bulb cable for Nikon, should be able to run it through ascom and thus have any ASCOM program take exposures.Run the camera through a USB cable to NKRemote or a software that stores the images for a PC. I'm not sure here, but maybe MaximDL and Nebulosity can use Nikon .NEF and thus you should even be able to autofocus it from inside (with a motor focus). That definetly works with a CCD however, but the question was regarding a Nikon.

Here are is a link: http://store.shoestr...products_ds.htm

Just speculating here though so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong here.

Slightly off track but if you have an android phone, DSLR dashboard will control / capture from a Nikon

But will it give 'bulb' settings for longer than 30 seconds that's the normal problem with Nikon software. Canon give you the whole works free - Nikon charge a fortune (but I love my Nikon).

But will it give 'bulb' settings for longer than 30 seconds that's the normal problem with Nikon software. Canon give you the whole works free - Nikon charge a fortune (but I love my Nikon).

Yes... +30 seconds / programmable bulb works but only on newer Nikon's .Mines a D7100 and its fine

I use ControlMyNikon, just found out that V4.2 is available (I have V3) and even nicer is that users of V2/V3 get a free upgrade to V4 - just use your old serial number and off you go :)

I think in the beginning of DSLR Imaging. Canon DSLR had a significant advantage over Nikon in terms of noise performance and a few other areas.

Problems like noise reduction that cannot be switched off, shadow clipping, lossy compression in Nikon NEF (RAW) pretty much drove people away from Nikon. As more people use Canon, more people developed third party software and hardware for them. These resulted in Canon dominance in DSLR AP today. Canon knows it and devoted resources to produce 20Da and 60Da to show its support for the astro community. It's not a big surprise Canon cares more about astro than other SLR manufacturers, while everyone else left the telescope market, Canon still makes a lot of glass for Takahashi.

Nevertheless there are a lot of Nikon users, so support for Nikon is better than Sony and Pentax. I think Maxim DL can control Nikon as well as Canon cameras.

thanks again for all your replies, i've just looked up 'controlmynikon' & it doesn't support my camera which is the entry d3100, i've managed to find a tether program that I can control from pc take shots & adjust iso, shutter etc etc, but really after something that allows me to view through the camera live as need it to focus the cam in the scope as live view on back of cam is more than useless trying to get stars focused when it don't show em up is a touch hard :D wishing I wasn't talked into getting the Nikon now but will have to suffice for now.

I've no idea about the D3100 but what has it got in the box ? Download cable or software ? There must be some way of looking at what you've just taken other than removing the memory card ? Or not ?

Dave.

all I got with camera was a usb to mini usb cable and viewing picture software nxveiw or something like that no additional software came with it, can see my pics through the live view on the back once taken them, but to focus with it is tricky as you cant see wot your looking at through it when its dark, will keep on trying though practice makes perfect an all that malarkey.

You may be able to use the viewing software to see what you've taken and then focus. I know that live view isn't the best with this camera.

Trouble with Maxim is that it will be cheaper to buy a Canon camera !

Dave.

well ive give maxim a go and a few others but they dont support my camera as cannot connect with them, has various other nikons but think they the more expensive models so think i will have to try the teather control an take photo and see how the focus is, only reason that brought this about is i tryed imaging M13 over weekend, wasnt the best seeing conditions but wont stack in DSS as cant find enough stars :S bit confusing seeing as was a cluster

Archived