Narrowband

NIKON SOFTWARE

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just updated my Sofortbild to latest version ... and although the bulb option is there, it doesn't work.

Maybe it will in a future version ?

I know that older Nikons dont allow bulb in ptp mode ( dslr dashboard on Andriod has just got bulb working on the newer Nikons ) but it should be possible now with the new Nikons

just have to wait

Just updated my Sofortbild to latest version ... and although the bulb option is there, it doesn't work.

Maybe it will in a future version ?

I know that older Nikons dont allow bulb in ptp mode ( dslr dashboard on Andriod has just got bulb working on the newer Nikons ) but it should be possible now with the new Nikons

just have to wait

hmm, very interesting. I hope they do sort it out as IIRC this was the only programme I found on Mac that (almost) did everything I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded & tried the beta version of digicam control with its new astro feature. Seems to work OK with my D4. Can do bulb release, live view & is being integrated with PhD, but don't know what that will involve. Pity it only works with newer Nikon's though.

• 3 weeks later...

My experiences are that MaximDL 5.24 is not very stable with my Nikon D600 camera, but DigiCamControl Pro works very good! The reason to run Maxim is that it can do lot of cool things, like a platesolve, dithering and stuff like that. DigiCamControl Pro can only control the camera with no specific astrofeatures. I suggest DigiCamControl group that DigiCamControl software would connect through ASCOM, I hope more that I suggest that. It would be great to use Maxim connecting though DigiCamControl to control the camera. That was an idea I had.

I was in a crossroad between Nikon and Canon for a year ago. I choose Nikon for many reasons since their cameras have a better sensor performance (nearly all Nikon cameras have Sony sensors with lower noise, higher sensitivity and very linear compared to Canons own sensors) (look at dxomark compare lists) and also not that plastic feeling when you hold the camera. So I don't think anyone that owns a Nikon camera should be sad that thay didn't choose Canon from the beginning to do astrophotagraphy.

It all depends on the model of Nikon to what functionality you get.

My D7000 has no bulb control in the firmware but the D7100 does

Slightly frustrating!

I didn't believe that until I just tried it too (D7000 here as well).  Works fine with an external interval meter or using the built in on within the camera - just not with a PC based solution..

Yes every Nikon DSLR camera has a bulb mode but only the D800, D4, D600, D610, D7100 models (and maybe som other very new cameras) is able to control longer exposures through only USB interface. But a shutter release for RS232 thorugh a RS232 to USB converter is very easy to build yourself so that is not a problem if you not have enough free USB ports on your computer. A such cable allows older Nikon cameras like a D7000 to be controlled to do long exposures (more then 30 seconds) thorugh the computer.

• 4 weeks later...

Just been playing with the laptop with maxim DL & my Nikon d4. Camera is set up using the Nikon driver & connects ok. It even works with the auto save function on the expose tab providing I set the exposure to 30 secs or less. Anything over 30 secs & it runs through the programmed sequence without actually doing anything with the camera. I would be interested to hear of the experiences from any other Nikon users currently using maxim DL to take there pics.

Cheers

Rob

• 2 months later...

Hello, sorry for late reply.  have you downloaded the latest Nikon plugin? Send me PM and you will get the link where do download it. I had to upgrade to Maxim 5.24 and I have also upgrade Nikon CCD-plugin. It works very good! I can take many minutes without any problems with Maxim DL and with only a USB-cable attached to my Nikon D600.

One way to get a Nikon to take USB bulb shots (but no control of anything else) is via Arduino, using the Nikon's IR remote release setting. You'll need some desktop software to set up a timer and send signals via serial, and either a relay plus a hacked cheapo IR remote or (my preference) an IR LED with an appropriate library (e.g.: click - this turns an Arduino into an IR release for many major cameras) and sketch, but I have an old D3000 and that's how I do it. If anyone's interested in a simple homebuild, I'll be happy to share the designs and software I've written.

The schematic for using that IR camera library couldn't be simpler - an IR LED + resistor on the digital pin of your choice.

Hmm. I realise that the code I use is integrated in a much bigger project, which uses a homebrew serial protocol far more complex than needed for a single function device (and my desktop software is written in BBCB4W ... I just like it, m'kay?). I'll have to spend a short while digging out and simplifying the relevant bits, but a look at the link I posted to Sebastian Setz's site will show you the idea. It's also easy to set up a stand-alone Arduino to take time-lapse sequences this way.

Even if my budget allowed me to get it any time soon, MaximDL doesn't support the D3000 (very much an entry-level dSLR, but one which takes surprisingly good images), so I'm left with exploring all the DIY options open to me!

Hello, its great with homebrew built things and get it work as you expected when you finished!

Try to test the free software http://digicamcontrol.com it supports your Nikon D3000 camera with IR-bulb device that thay sell to sponsor their open source project. With that you can make a batch with long exposures.

Archived