NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Something smaller than a 200mm EQ5

Hi,

I currently have the 200mm skywatcher reflector on an EQ5 mount with the two axis motors. While I really enjoy it and the views are amazing I haven't taken it out in a long time and I'm thinking that's because of the size of the thing and the hassle of carrying it out to the back garden. I need to take the mount out, polar align it, then go back into the house for the rings, then another trip for the counterweights, another one for the tube, and then finally run some power to the motors. All in all many trips back and forth which puts me of using it, especially in the winter as having the door open lets the cold air in which annoys my other half.

I have got a 100mm spotting scope on a camera tripod but its just not the same, views aren't as good and harder to find anything with no finder.

I'm wondering if there's an alternative. When I was first researching getting my scope I kept reading that a good starting size would be a 3 inch refractor or a 6 inch reflector, so that's for me thinking would something like a 4 inch or so refractor fine me the same quality of views as my 8 inch Newtonian but in a smaller lighter package, maybe the eq3 mount or is there really no substitute for aperture?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no substitute for aperture really. You can have the same quality views in a more portable and quite to set up package in the form of the 8" F/6 dobsonian:

http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html

These are immensely popular because of their ease of use. You can carry the whole scope outside in one go, plonk it down and, after 20mins for the scope to cool, you are up and running.

4" refractors are nice but can't compete with an 8" newtonian.

Yes I did look at the dob when I bought my eq5 but didn't really like the idea of it for some reason. And now I'm used to a motorised equatorial mount tracking objects for me (no go-to mind) I don't know how easy I'd find the switch. Ive also got ambitions on taking some photos one day. Although so far this has just been piggy backing a camera on the mount, or webcam planetary images so far I'd still like to keep the option of an eq mount. Being able to carry it out in one go is attractive however. Would it be possible to mount my tube on a Dobsonian mount? Then I could keep the eq to hand as well when I want it but have the DOB available for quick setup just for visual observing

I'd agree with John. There is a fair step up in the brightness of the view through an 8" vs. a 6" Newtonian plus a Dob mount is quicker to set up and easier to use than an EQ mounted Newtonian. I normally use a 10" Dob for observing and that is two or at most three trips. OTA+base together, then observing stool and eyepiece case. If it's to be a long session then another trip for a folding table and mug of coffee. I also use a 6" Newt on an EQ mount for imaging and that is at best a 40min set-up.

If you don't think you want to move away from a motorised eq then I'm not sure there's anything much more convenient. as you know, the mount is the heaviest/awkwardest part of the set-up, so I don't think a smaller scope will make setting up any easier, an a smaller eq mount won't be that much different either.

Yes, it is possible to mount the tube on a dob base, i'm sure there will be threads in the diy section or just google "making dob base for newtonian ota"

You can get a tracking dob now with the GOTO feature. You pay quite a lot more for these facilities though:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-flextube-goto.html

I think the idea of building a simple dobsonian mount for your current 8" optical is worth investigating. There are lots of designs on the web and the cost will be pretty low. You will then be able to choose which mount to use depending on what you want to do, the conditions and how you feel.

All in one go? :eek:

Don't think I'm quite that strong, and the furniture / patio doors / steps / moss-covered concrete slope I have to negotiate to get out to my back garden mean the tripod plus EQ5 is pretty much the limit.

I will definitely investigate building a Dob mount for it though. I build model planes so am fairly proficient at reading plans, measuring and cutting straight.

Having said that I've just plonked the mount out now in preparation for tonight, hope the skies stay clear.

Health permitting, you could always carry it all out in one go. I used to carry my NEQ6, Equinox 120, CCD/filterwheel/OAG and weights about 100 yards all set up and ready to go.

You have just invented a new set up ' Sweat and Go ' !

andrew

Hi all, I traded in my manageable etx90 a year ago for an explorer 200 on an eq5, no tracking or goto. The views blew me away, however, being new to this I do miss the goto of the little Meade.

I'd considered the same question. Would I get more use out of something lighter, more managable and quick to set up. I'm thinking CPC800, keep the aperture but bring back the goto and empty the bank account or may upgrade my mount, maybe CG5 GT.

any advise would be gratefully received.

1376846040' post='2019313']

Would I get more use out of something lighter, more managable and quick to set up. I'm thinking CPC800, keep the aperture but bring back the goto and empty the bank account or may upgrade my mount, maybe CG5 GT.

The CPC800 is quick to set up, but it ain't light! It tips the scales at 21kg, and even my big, strapping OH can only get it from the house, down the patio steps and into the garden in 2 go's... The tripod first, then the fork-mounted OTA. It is a great scope though, and the GoTo takes mere moments given that the SkyAlign has GPS: location, date and time are all sorted.

It wouldn't be possible to build a pier and leave the mount set up outdoors all the time, just bringing the OTA in each time and leaving the mount covered?

James

It wouldn't be possible to build a pier and leave the mount set up outdoors all the time, just bringing the OTA in each time and leaving the mount covered?

James

I have actually considered doing this. With a bit of planning and probably some more building skill than I possess I think it would be possible to make some kind of decorative pier with a sundial or something on it looks nice in the garden for the daytime. Then when the sun goes down the sundial lifts off, and an equatorial head goes on, perfectly solid and polar aligned.

Ah, well, if you want it pretty when not in use as well then that might be more tricky :) I was thinking more along the lines of a pier with a circular wooden shelf around it that has a plastic dustbin upturned over it and the mount when you're done, leaving only the telescope and ancillaries to be brought from the house. Upturned dustbins are not easy to disguise though.

James

The CPC800 is quick to set up, but it ain't light! It tips the scales at 21kg, and even my big, strapping OH can only get it from the house, down the patio steps and into the garden in 2 go's... The tripod first, then the fork-mounted OTA. It is a great scope though, and the GoTo takes mere moments given that the SkyAlign has GPS: location, date and time are all sorted.

I take your point.... Hauling and setting up takes time but I love the explorer when it's there, I do miss the goto though.

Now building a pier that's practical for me and doesn't look out of place in the good wife's garden, that's a challenge.

I take your point.... Hauling and setting up takes time but I love the explorer when it's there, I do miss the goto though.

Now building a pier that's practical for me and doesn't look out of place in the good wife's garden, that's a challenge.

I can do it by myself, but I have a bad back so some nights, it's just not practical, but which ever one of us takes it out to the garden, it literally takes about 2 mins to reattach the 2 parts together! It really is very easy. But, I have mine set up in the room off the garden permanently. If you have to completely dismantle every time you use it (some people have to due to space etc), it will probably take about 15 mins to get it outside and set up.

Like I said before, the SkyAlign takes no time due to the GPS. Switch it on, and accept the date, time, location info, then just use 3 bright objects, and that's ANY 3 bright objects, including the Moon and planets, and off you go!

I love the scope, but just wish it was about 5kg lighter... Could probably move it all at once then!

Hi,

I currently have the 200mm skywatcher reflector on an EQ5 mount with the two axis motors. While I really enjoy it and the views are amazing I haven't taken it out in a long time and I'm thinking that's because of the size of the thing and the hassle of carrying it out to the back garden. I need to take the mount out, polar align it, then go back into the house for the rings, then another trip for the counterweights, another one for the tube, and then finally run some power to the motors. All in all many trips back and forth which puts me of using it, especially in the winter as having the door open lets the cold air in which annoys my other half.

Why not leave the weights on the mount and leave the tube rings on the OTA?That would cut 3 journeys out.

Really comes down to are you willing to give up some aperture for greater portability ?

For a smaller mount the 200P would realistically have to go. Also EQ mounts are not exactly the easiest things to move and set up, like yourself I tend to do it in multiple steps if I use one.

The ones that fit are the 5" and 6" SCT's and Maks.

Means that future DSO imaging is out of the question - they are not right.

They tend to come in a more compact format, still not lightweight.

As said planetary imaging is an option (all 3 planets) but not DSO's.

For moving I tend to leave my scope and tripod in one bit - best to restrain the legs with a bungee cord as they never behave themselves. The rest, handset, eyepieces, cables spreader and anything else I have in a trolly bag and that is it. HAve seen most people have tripod and scope seperate.

If DSO imaging is eventually the aim then keep the EQ5, maybe later an ED scope for the image collection.

Will say that although aperture allows you to see more objects if it is not actually being used it doesn't matter if it is 60mm or 400mm.

Other factors are do you intend to lose the 200P+EQ5 for another or buy another as well as the present, and finally an idea of budget.

• 2 weeks later...

While visiting parents recently I had the chance to pick up my Dad's ST 120 on an EQ 3. Didn't know he had one till I went there. Unfortunately it was cloudy both nights so didn't have the chance to look through it. While this is pick-upable in one go on the mount with weights fitted, and is a fairly easy lift from his garden building where it's stored onto the patio, it would be a different matter in my house getting it out of the study, through the dining area, negotiating the furniture and out of the patio doors, down the step, down the slope etc. If we could get rid of the dining table and chairs then yes maybe but I don't see that happening somehow.

So I've decided that for me, no equatorial mount is going to be portable, so I've gone for the Heritage 130p in addition to my Explorer 200. It seems to get some good reviews, is super quick to set up and pack away, and I can take it with me caravanning. I think I'm happy with the decision - accept the drop in aperture for the ease of use. 200 to 130 doesn't seem that much (till you calculate the area), and it's not like I'm getting rid of the 200/EQ5 setup. If it's meant to be portable then it needs to be properly portable. Trying to compromise too much often means getting something that does nothing very well. Of course it would be nice if there was something that gave equivalent views to a 16" dob, weighed 2 kilos and could fit in a backpack, and cost £50, however until that day I think what I've gone for should do me pretty well.

i was having the same problems so i built a shed-obsy form a b&q 4x6 shed with a plastic roof i diidnt want to spend too much incase it didnt work out but it did ;),

why not have a shedservatory all set up and just fold the walls or roof off no carrying have a got starttofinnish.jpg?t=1377704381 it cost £120 for the shed £50 for the 10ft sleeper for the peer and concreat base and £10 for the upside down metpost to hold the eq head cheap i know but it works.

I would dearly love a shed in the back garden. Not sure about a shedservatory as I think I'd be expected to keep a mower and such like in it. Unfortunately the only practical place for one was occupied by several 30' plus leilandii when I moved in. So I cut them down, how hard can it be? Well for the last 7 years their stumps have looked like this and are still in the way. There's no room to get a chainsaw in there. As you can see one of them has eaten a log-splitting wedge. Mid terrace, with no access to the rear garden except through the house, so can't get a stump grinder or a digger in there. This is the same with any bulk materials like sand, cement etc, so I'm limited with what I can build out there as it all has to come through the house, by hand. I have shifted 2 tons of gravel through the house, not an experience I'm eager to repeat.

Even my offer "free firewood if you can collect" attracted no interest. Some black powder would do the trick no doubt, but might get me in a touch of trouble. Maybe I should post this on TreeSurgeon's Lounge. :)

Seriously though how do you cope with dew in the shed? Or is it just the pier that's in there permanently?

I have the same scope, and I have purchased Geotik bags for each of my components. They are strong, water resistant and easy to carry. I can even wear the OTA bag on my back like a backpack. I can carry out my kit in one trip, but I usually take two, as I have to descend a flight of steps to get into the garden. I also leave the rings on the OTA and so I just need to attach the scope to the mount and the mount to the tripod and I'm done.

I would dearly love a shed in the back garden. Not sure about a shedservatory as I think I'd be expected to keep a mower and such like in it. Unfortunately the only practical place for one was occupied by several 30' plus leilandii when I moved in. So I cut them down, how hard can it be? Well for the last 7 years their stumps have looked like thisand are still in the way. There's no room to get a chainsaw in there. As you can see one of them has eaten a log-splitting wedge. Mid terrace, with no access to the rear garden except through the house, so can't get a stump grinder or a digger in there. This is the same with any bulk materials like sand, cement etc, so I'm limited with what I can build out there as it all has to come through the house, by hand. I have shifted 2 tons of gravel through the house, not an experience I'm eager to repeat.

How are they "in the way", as it were? What part of the shed construction do they obstruct?

James

Archived