Choice of 2 telescopes for under £500

Hi guys, I'm new to the telescope world and looking to purchase my first 'scope for around £500.

I'm down to two options which seem to be quite different, but I am open to suggestions if you can think of better options, I need one that I can take to fields etc as there's a lot of light in my garden, and trees...

It's between the Nexstar 4SE and the Skywatcher Explorer 200p EQ-5.

I'd mainly like to be able to see the moon and planets etc but it would be nice to see other stuff too. Is the extra spec in the Skywatcher worth forgetting about the portability of the Nexster ?

Appreciate any help you can offer! Cheers!

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-nexstar-4se.html

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes/sky-watcher/newtonian_reflectors/explorer-200p_eq5

the only thing that the 4se has over the other scope is a little more portability. the 200p will be a far better scope for everything assuming you want visual astronomy. imaging is a whole different ball game. the 200 would still be portable but I'd not want to carry it too far fr0m the car to be honest although in separate parts it would be not too bad, especially if you have a helper.

personally, for the same sort of budget I'd get this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-dobsonian.html

another vote for the 200p. And as above you can save cost and buy the dobsonian. I would advsie you to go and see these scopes in the flesh and go to your local astro club and have a look at the kit others have. Especially if you have not used an eq mount before. You can then see which would suit you best.

Good luck with your choice.

The 200P given as an example is the OTA on the mount, it will not goto or find an object, neither will it track - so anything you look at will drift out of view, and you are looking at seconds to drift out not minutes, and you have to find everything. If you can find the required objects then good, otherwise you are not going to see a lot, at least initially. There is a learning curve.

You can get an additional set of motors to enable tracking - not goto - and fit these but that is additional.

Pick the one you will actually use the most.

You can also retro fit GOTO to the EQ5 in the future. The upgrade kit is about £300.

If portability or storage space is an issue, or if you want to scope to find everything for you - Nexstar 4

If storage and portability is not an issue and you want to find everything yourself, but you want auto tracking - 200p EQ5

If storage and portability is not an issue and you want to find everything yourself and track manually - 200p or 250p dob

If the size isn't an issue and you're happy with the entirely manual operation of the 200P/EQ5 (or the 200P dob as Keith suggests) then that's the one to have. In fact, if your interest is visual-only I think it's hard to make a case for an EQ mount at all. And if you think you might want to do some imaging later I'd probably still suggest having a dob now and adding an imaging rig later.

If you're not keen on going all-manual then I still think you're paying an awful lot for the electronics and other gubbins in a 4SE that you perhaps don't need to. I'd personally be more inclined towards the Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO myself I think. More aperture for less money and pretty much the same functionality, if you'd notice any difference at all.

James

Portability really is a big issue. If you cant handle the scope you are likely to use it less and less. If you can deal with its size,the 200 wins hands down.

Def.

I had a bigger scope and hardly used it. Now I have a small refractor and although not as much light goes in the front end I use it every day!!! That's just me though.

I had a bigger scope and hardly used it. Now I have a small refractor and although not as much light goes in the front end I use it every day!!! That's just me though.

I agree with m37 and the others above who point out "the best scope is the one you'll use".

I did go with the 200P when I started out but I have to say I found it a bit of a pain to use and now I rarely use it. I do think its a great scope but if you don't use it then its just a waste.

I know I would have got more use out of a smaller more portable scope and having goto would have made things more enjoyable. When I bought the 200P+EQ5 I went with the thought of spending all my money on decent scope without any fancy electronics. I knew I could add GOTO later but I'm not sure thats the right way forward as the EQ5 isn't the best mount for a 200P.

I also find the 200P is a little awkward to use and you end up at some strange angles trying to look through the eyepiece. To get the eyepiece at a comfortable angle and height your forever rotating the tube in the mount ever time you look at a new object. Adjusting the RA and DEC knobs isn't the easiest of things to do especially with a big reflector in the way. I think these two issues is what put me off the most.

My advice would be before parting with any money to visit a local astronomy society and have a play with their equipment. I know I would have made different choices if I had taken that same advice. My society have a loan scheme and members can borrow equipment whilst they find their feet. Other members are also very helpful in offering advice and assistance. I leant my 200P out to a member for a week, and he quickly found the issues I had and he ended up buying a more suitable system for him.

Most societies will be starting up observing sessions around the next month and it really would be worth going along. You'll see all types of scopes/mounts and get a better idea of what will suit you. Like others I have the 200 p but on an heq5 pro mount which would double your budget. I like it but its not very portable. I've now got a short tube refractor too and am looking at a more portable mount. As people have said you need a scope you will use. I'd go for a taster session with your local group and asess what's available after that.

Archived