Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Congrats Nytecam, that is a very interesting series of spectra, moving from mainly thermal continuum radiation, to more an more line emission from ionized gas.

Excuse my ignorance but did you deduce this from the more pronounced spikes in the spectrum lines from 16th to 20th August?

Excuse my ignorance but did you deduce this from the more pronounced spikes in the spectrum lines from 16th to 20th August?

Yes. Pure thermal (or black-body) radiation is a continuum yielding a smooth curve as a spectrum. Ionized gas produces strong emission lines showing up as spikes in the spectrum

Yes. Pure thermal (or black-body) radiation is a continuum yielding a smooth curve as a spectrum. Ionized gas produces strong emission lines showing up as spikes in the spectrum

Thanks for that.

Getting fainter.

Not possible in my 42 mm bis.

Just possible in my 80mm bins

About mag 9 I would suggest?

Mark

Just got it tonight in my 15x50is binos. Right on the limit of visibility, needed averted vision to spot it. Similar to other reports, I put it a little dimmer than the nearby mag 9.0 star, so around 9.2 ish

Stu

Not visible tonight in the binos so must be below about mag 9.3 or so which is around the limit for my binos under my skies.

Stu

Not visible tonight in the binos so must be below about mag 9.3 or so which is around the limit for my binos under my skies.

Stu

Which bins did you use?

Did not get to see it yesterday, might have a bright spell tonight, and I will get out the 15x70s or the 80mm frac

Which bins did you use?

Did not get to see it yesterday, might have a bright spell tonight, and I will get out the 15x70s or the 80mm frac

My Canon 15x50is binos. As said, I think I generally find around 9.3 to 9.5 is limiting mag underused skies at home.

Definitely seems to be a big bino/small scope object now but great to have followed it all the way down from mag 4.5 (if I remember correctly).

Stu

My pic below in 20s exp [inset 3s exp to show colour] from last night.  My est =m10.2 eg a ghost of its former self at outburst :police:

post-21003-0-50304300-1381996429_thumb.j

Dropping fast now, nice image.

Stu

My pic below in 20s exp [inset 3s exp to show colour] from last night.  My est =m10.2 eg a ghost of its former self at outburst :police:

Is it really that colour!? Wow. Also, what is that "extra" star above right of centre in the inset image?