SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Bright SN in Delphinus

Just had a brief break between scurrying clouds - 11 pm. Same 10x50s. Where yesterday about this time i could not detect a difference between the nova and 29 Vul it was certainly less bright tonight, but still brighter than Eta Sagitta. Conditions were not great and had about a minute only, but to me just barely under 5th mag. Still quite bright and not sure what the prediction should be. Pleased to see it again however brief !

andrew

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had another look 10.45 with 10x50s and compared to my reference star Eta Sagitta, the nova appears to be holding in brightness quite well. I estimate it as no fainter than eta - so around 5th mag.

Yep, I'd agree with that. I also just had a look in my binoculars, and I'd say it's only very slightly dimmer than yesterday, so still close in brightness to 29 Vul but significantly brighter than eta Sge. I'd say about m4.9. I felt it had a pale orange tint to it today that I didn't see yesterday but maybe I just didn't notice.

Yep, I'd agree with that. I also just had a look in my binoculars, and I'd say it's only very slightly dimmer than yesterday, so still close in brightness to 29 Vul but significantly brighter than eta Sge. I'd say about m4.9. I felt it had a pale orange tint to it today that I didn't see yesterday but maybe I just didn't notice.

I've just estimated m4.8 based on comparison with 29 Vul. I think we are all in the same ball park :smiley:

It does seem to be a strange one. When I checked it visually a few days ago, it looked just slightly brighter than HR 7811 so I put it at around mag 5.5. I saw a photo taken at a similar time and it looked quite a bit brighter than HR7811 so I would have put it nearer 5.2 ish based on that.

Cloudy last night too do I haven't seen it for a few days. Will be interesting to pick it up again.

Stu

Drifting cloud last night Thursday Aug 22 after dusk but got a quick shot via piggybacked 1100d and est mag at m5.5 against circled star and Sloan DSS. Perhaps more importantly [for me!] my 5th spectrum profile within a week as the nova fades - my best early nova sequence in over a decade of nova spectra imaging :police:

post-21003-0-89113500-1377248912_thumb.j

post-21003-0-63061100-1377249061_thumb.j

Archived