Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first full disc in white light

Luke

After ordering a few adapters for my Baader Herschel Wedge, I'm able to get prime focus with my refractors :)

This first full disc effort was with an ED80 on an undriven mount.

gallery_2875_2627_173367.jpg

At 500mm focal length, I can squeeze the whole disc onto the chip but there are not a lot of spare pixels, so I have to rotate the wedge to the best angle and get the disc in just the right place before letting the disc drift longways over the chip. I can get about 1100 frames max, though this time I got about 470 due to clouds and bumble bees :smiley:

Onyx 80mm / Baader Herschel Wedge / Grasshopper 3 (ICX687)

Really nice image Luke, very crisp and lots of detail. There's plenty going on at the moment isn't there? I had a nice session yesterday with the TV76 and it was lovely. It looked pretty similar so I'm assuming yours was taken yesterday too??

I really love being able to see the areas of faculae so clearly, and the granulation was visible over the whole disk, a first for me with the wedge.

Lovely first image, keep 'em coming :-)

Stu

Thanks all!

Stu, in my excitement at getting prime focus, I forgot to add the date! It was as you thought, yesterday, about 7.15pm. You must get a cracking view through your TV76, I was really impressed when I had a look through a Pronto in white light :) Yes, the sun really is spoiling us and I was saying to Sarah, with all the amazing proms that we've seen recently, it's hard to know what a whopper prom is now, and some beautiful active regions to look at in white light.

Robin, I'm loving using the wedge, and glad that I don't regret going for a 2 inch one now that focus is sorted :)

Thanks Luke, I thought it looked familiar :-)

The view throughout the TV76 was fabulous. Up to now I've been using the Stellarvue 80ED but I must admit that I saw far more detail in the TV. That may just be down to the seeing conditions though, because I didn't see much granulation in the 106mm either when I tried that. More viewing time needed.

One annoyance I'm having is that the wedge does not seem to sit firmly in the 1.25" adaptor of any of my scopes. Unless brutally tightened, it drops out a millimeter or so and is slightly wobbly. Need to try to find a solution to that.

Cheers,

Stu

One annoyance I'm having is that the wedge does not seem to sit firmly in the 1.25" adaptor of any of my scopes. Unless brutally tightened, it drops out a millimeter or so and is slightly wobbly. Need to try to find a solution to that.

This problem now solved... Received one of the FLO self centring adapters and this holds it nice and snug, no slipping :-). Happy now.

Stu

Archived