Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Super Widefield of Mars and Orion From Painswick Beacon

With the help of my son I took my kit to the top of a local hill called Painswick Beacon in search of darker skies. As we arived the sky was beautiful, we unloaded the kit from the car and puffed our way to the top of the hill. I set myself up on the leeward side of the hill facing south and polar aligned my AstroTrac. I fixed the 400d onto the mount only to find the clouds were closing in. Heres a few shots I grabbed whilst I could.

2638_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2639_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2640_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2641_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2642_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Finally the :icon_jokercolor::embarassed: closed in and we had to head for home. All the picture were taken on my Canon 400D with a Sigma Wide Angle lens set to 10mm F4 exposure 30s @ISO800.

Regards

Kevin

PS I'm convinced these clouds are waiting to pounce as soon as im ready to press the shutter release. :rolleyes:

that last one is very dramatic. Is there any way to cut out LP with a DSLR as I got the same colours doing a few tests last night.

DAve

The orange glow is mainly due to the reflection off the clouds from the surrounding towns there was no real point in filtering in that situation or post processing. I kind of liked the way they came out, the clouds were fast moving and gave it an ethereal mood.

Very atmospheric BV, I think they're great. Is that a meteor in number 3?

Kaptain Klevtsov

I have looked on Starry Night 6 and can't find any satellites going through Orions top half at 22:13. Therefore its very likely to be a meteor.

Regards

Kevin

That hill sounds as though it is well named BV.

However, the effort was worth it, you have some beautiful atmospheric images of our hemispheres most opular constellation.

I hope your son enjoyed the experience too. Sharp eyes of KK spotted that meteor, I didn't see it first look.

I think the clouds add to the images, even though it sounds a contradiction in terms.

Ron. :icon_jokercolor:

Don't get me wrong, I like them just the way they are too. Just wondering in general if a light pollution filter can be used on a DSRL.

DAve

If you use a 2" filter you can get step down rings that adapt the filter to some lenses. There are some rather expensive filters that will fit certain size lenses. See link below

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it240002.htm

I sometimes balance a 2"LPF onto the end of the camera lens inside the lense shroud, this works ok for objects at a high angle. But dont forget to lift it out before moving the camera I didnt and dropped it on the patio :icon_jokercolor::embarassed:

At the end of the day there is no subsitute for dark skies thats why I bought an AstroTrac so that I can take it to Darker Skies. The site I took these pictures from is usually not too bad but since it was cloudy and there was lots of moisture in the air it was reflecting the street lights from the village of Painswick.

I have often wondered why somebody doesnt design a filter that will fit between the lens and camera body so that any lens can be used.

Regards

Kevin

Archived