Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Cygnus Wall in HaRGB

Avdhoeven

High resolution HaRGB (8Mp)

Cygnus_hargb_16072013-8mp-1024x749.jpg

High resolution RGB (8Mp)

Cygnus_rgb_large-2-1024x749.jpg

NGC 7000 is also known as the North America Nebula with the so called Gulf of Mexico. In this area the Cygnus Wall can be found. This part is the Mexican and Middle American part of the Nebula. It’s one of the most interesting parts of the nebula because this is a region of active star formation. Very near to the Wall a dark area (the Gulf of Mexico) can be seen that consist mainly of cold gas and dust, the ingredients for new stars. The wall actually is an ionization front where UV light from young stars ionize the cold hydrogen gas and make it glow in its typical red color.

Telescope: TEC-140

Camera: QSI-583

Mount: NEQ-6

6 x 1800 s H-alpha (3nm astrodon)

4 x 600 s R,G,B (astrodon gen 2 true RGB)

Total exposure time: 5 hours

Until now this is my finest image concerning the star colors and sizes I think...

The Ha has really added fantastic detail to this image.
I completely agree. The RGB is very good, and lacks detail, but the Ha, used as luminance maybe, has given the image a kick up the backside. Stunning image! ;-)

Archived