Hi from Indiana

aa2thez

Just bought a new telescope, the Orion Skyquest XT8, although Indiana is not the greatest place to stargaze, there are some good nights. Thinking about buying some new scopes, the Baader Hyperion 8mm-24mm and an Orion 2x barlow. Just asking others what might be some other EPs to get would be and would a 3x or 5x be better? Thanks to all!

Hello there and welcome to SGL!

I don't have much experience with the Baader Hyperion's, by which I mean none at all, however I would recommend that you go for the best 2x barlow in your price bracket if you want to get one.

Lets say Barlow A is x2 and costs £45 while Barlow B is x5 and costs £50. While its tempting to go for more mag, barlow A will not only be easier to use and get used to, the chances are if will have a better build quality aswell. Alot of people (myself included) make the same mistake when starting out by thinking more mag = better, while actually its more about the quality and getting the most out of your equipment, plus alot of objects look great at relatively low magnification.

I'm sure someone alot more informed than me will be along soon, but its something to keep in mind.

Clear Skies!

Matt

Hello and welcome to sgl.

I have the baader hyperion 8-24 zoom and the baader 2.25 barlow.

I am very happy with these eye pieces I think they are excellent.

I also have the skywatcher panaview 38mm eyepiece for wide field views , this gives me a TFOV of nearly 3 degrees on my

Evostar 120ed ds-pro this is also an excellent eyepiece.

So far these are the only eyepieces I ever need to use.

Avtar

Welcome aboard.

I'm very new to the group, myself, but, so far, the people on this group have shown me that they are a more mature lot.

I have , already, got feedback on some issues I've been having, and it has proven to be helpful.

I know a guy up (or down) in Anderson, IN.

He's a bit "different", if you know what I mean.

But he is a nice guy, so I let that slide.

But back to topic.

I feel you will find the answers you seek from this group.

Rob C.

Archived