Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher EQ8 Mount pre-orders

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided - it's no good - I've just GOT to have one of those, even if I do build myself a separate widefield mount :D  Then at least I can have one MN190 plus two ED80s on at the same time :)

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't watch that, it made me feel sea-sick and my eyes hurt. Who ever did that video should be made to watch it until their eyes fall out. I've also had to correct a hoard of typos due to my eyes going sideways.

Great piece of kit though. Can't afford it yet. When I retire though.....

Can I be awfully naughty Steve and ask if you have any info on when the second wave of these might arrive?  Having just put in a pre-order I'm hoping I have been in time for the 2nd batch :)  I've checked the measurements of my pier head fittings and the EQ8 will fit nicely :)

Thank you :)

Thank-you for your order Gina :smiley:

You did well to pre-order an EQ8 over the weekend because it is looking like the entire second delivery are now also pre-sold  :icon_eek:

The delivery is due to dock mid-October but it might be a few days later before they are ready for dispatch. 

We are confident we have secured enough to fulfil existing backorders (including yours and another that was placed over the weekend) but unfortunately any orders placed from today will need to wait until the third delivery. Not sure when that will be but I'll update this thread as soon as I know. 

Thank-you again to everyone who entrusted their EQ8 order to FLO  :icon_salut:

Steve 

I have been discussing deliveries of Skywatcher EQ8 mounts with Skywatcher's UK importer. Demand is clearly out-stripping supply, entire shipments are selling out before they have even docked! Unfortunately it will probably stay this way until the New Year. 

I think it is best that we simply say there is a waiting list for EQ8 mounts and to ask anyone interested to contact us for the latest ETA. 

Thank-you for your patience :smiley:

Steve 

The September delivery of Skywatcher EQ8 PRO mounts sold out, the entire October delivery (due in approx two weeks) has also pre-sold and the November delivery is selling fast.

We currently have three available to sell from the November delivery. 

The November delivery will be the last delivery this year. Another delivery is scheduled for early 2014. 

It is still early days but all feedback from owners has been positive :glasses2:

HTH, 

Steve 

skywatcher_eq8_mount.jpg

Argh.. so tempting. Anyone producing a pier adapter for these yet? Oh and why is it £5 cheaper to order the mount & tripod separately Steve?

Our prices are discounted so it is probably just me rounding up/down to the nearest fiver :smiley: 

There has been mention of the mounts pier being able to slip down and damage the central bolt / geared knob combination if it is not tightened up properly. I think Skywatcher have cottoned on to this as my pier has arrived with two predrilled holes below the geared knob and a bolt in the pier  in one of ghem. So, if the pier is to slip, the bolt rill catch on the tripod legs before the geared knob.

Just seen this on Ian King's site - Hope it fits the bill

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=20

Looks nice (and pricey!). Whats to stop someone from drilling and tapping 3 holes in the pier top plate (one for the azimuth pin, two for the mount securing holes). The base of the mount is flat, isn't it, so no need for stepped pier adapter (unlike the EQ6)?

Looks nice (and pricey!). Whats to stop someone from drilling and tapping 3 holes in the pier top plate (one for the azimuth pin, two for the mount securing holes). The base of the mount is flat, isn't it, so no need for stepped pier adapter (unlike the EQ6)?

Yeah. I had a closer look after my post. I used 10mm steel for my pier top plate. So maybe a teflon pading on the top would be all thats needed.

Yep, same here - also 10mm steel plate.  Drilling and tapping holes is no problem :)

Bung a circle of 1mm nylon/acetal/teflon sheet under the mount and job jobbed. No need for a £90 puck (happy to be corrected on this!). After all, you'd need to drill the plate to bolt the puck to it!

Bung a circle of 1mm nylon/acetal/teflon sheet under the mount and job jobbed. No need for a £90 puck (happy to be corrected on this!). After all, you'd need to drill the plate to bolt the puck to it!

Wouldn't thinner sheet be better - having less flexing under varying loads.  I was thinking of 0.25mm Teflon (PTFE) sheet.

Wouldn't thinner sheet be better - having less flexing under varying loads.  I was thinking of 0.25mm Teflon (PTFE) sheet.

1mm is just a figure that came to mind. Any thin sheet of nylon/teflon would stop stiction, as would a thin layer of grease (though, in an obsy how many times will it get moved?).

Flex in a thin sheet of plastic? Good luck with measuring that. The pier expanding and contracting as the temperature changes would have a far greater effect.

Archived