NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQMod Comms Issues

I have started to get comms issues with EQMod.

Explanation.

Turn Mount and Electronics on

Turn PC On

Run the vbs script to start EQASCOM (EQMod pops up on screen)

Load CdC

Unpark and issue goto's

Then as some point (can be mins to an hour ie intermittent) the message center in EQMod starts showing CommErr:ER=16777221 and CommErr:ED=16777221.

EQMod now unresponsive and unable to issue goto ot park the mount.

The mount (EQ6) still keep sidereal tracking and still shows the mount positions in the EQMod mount position box.

If I goto ASCOM Diagnostics I can select the telescope under devices then in the ASCOM popup select EQMOD ASCOMM EQ5/6 and click ok I can then press the connect button and I get CONNECTED OK

Here is the output from the EQMod Message Center

[09:44:04] ClientCount=2

[09:44:22] ClientCount=1

[09:44:25] ClientCount=2

[09:44:51] Slewing East ...

[09:45:29] ClientCount=1

[09:49:28] Slewing mount to home position

[09:52:00] ClientCount=2

[09:52:18] Cannot start tracking, mount still parked. Please unpark.

[09:52:23] Scope unparked. Encoder values restored.

[09:52:28] RA Motor set at Sidereal rate

[09:55:27] Slewing mount to home position

[09:55:38] Scope unparked. Encoder values restored.

[09:55:44] RA Motor set at Sidereal rate

[10:21:16] CoordSlew: RA[ 02:47:23 ] DEC[ +89:19:04 ]

[10:21:16] Goto: 02:47:23 +89:19:04

[10:21:49] Goto: 02:47:23 +89:19:04

[10:21:50] Goto: 02:47:23 +89:19:04

[10:21:51] Goto: 02:47:23 +89:19:04

[10:21:51] Goto: 02:47:23 +89:19:04

[10:21:51] RA Motor set at Sidereal rate

[10:21:51] Goto Slew Complete. 05:00:17 +88:01:42

[10:21:51] Goto: SlewItereations=5

[10:21:51] Goto: RaDiff=7974.16 DecDiff=4641.93

[10:33:16] CoordSlew: RA[ 05:17:40 ] DEC[ +46:00:30 ]

[10:33:16] Goto: 05:17:40 +46:00:30

[10:33:38] Goto: 05:17:40 +46:00:30

[10:33:38] Goto: 05:17:40 +46:00:30

[10:33:39] Goto: 05:17:40 +46:00:30

[10:33:39] Goto: 05:17:40 +46:00:30

[10:33:40] RA Motor set at Sidereal rate

[10:33:40] Goto Slew Complete. 05:18:17 +45:54:20

[10:33:40] Goto: SlewItereations=5

[10:33:40] Goto: RaDiff=037.11 DecDiff=370.08

[10:35:01] CommErr:ER=16777221

[10:35:01] CommErr:ED=16777221

[10:35:02] CommErr:ER=16777221

[10:35:02] CommErr:ED=16777221

[10:35:02] CommErr:ER=16777221

[10:35:02] CommErr:ED=16777221

[10:3

The only way to get control back is to kill EQMod (if it lets me) and either unplug the USB and plug it back in or reboot

Specs

EQ6 mount connect to a 5v powered USB2 hub via a HiTecAstro EQDir module.on Com3

PC is running Win7 32bit, ASCOM 6sp1

I have so far don the following with out any success

Turned off Selective USB Power Saving in Win 7

Replaced twice the USB cable from PC to Powered Hub

Tried different USB ports on PC

Tried 2 different Powered USB2 Hubs

No other devices (Wireless Gamepad, QHY5V, SPC900, Canon 350D) on that powered USB hub fail or stop working when EQMod produces the CommErr messages which suggests it's not a USB issue but I am open to any suggestions please

Thanks

I first thought that it was the usb cable, so swapped that out

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to get the odd glitch with comms and in my setup narrowed it down to the QHY5 being on the same hub as everything else. I obtained an additional USB hub and via repeater cable hooked up the QHY5 on it's own. I didn't seem to have the same problem after that. I don't think it was the QHY5; more to do with when intialising the device and the driver loading it used to lock the USB comms somehow. Worth a try !

Thanks Spikey.

Current setup has my PC in the house and I run a 5m active USB repeater cable followed by a 5m USB (Type A to Type B Connector) into my USB2 powered hub. Then it's just 1m cables up to the equipment.

I now have 2 active USB cables out to the mount (I put another in when testing a few days ago instead of actually taking the old one out in case there was nothing wrong)

The power for the hub is from a 12v battery via a 12v-5v regulator.

My QHY5 is on the same hub.

I am going to take my HP Mini Notebook outside and plug this in directly into the mount and see if that works at the moment.

• 1 month later...

After three years of astrography I hit this same error during my holiday. I tried upgrading/downgrading my version of eqmod, PHD etc etc. Nothing helped sofare. I checked my PSU (stabalized 13.8V), no problems there. Running without USB hub, etc etc. Only thing I curently can't do switching the mount's cable (sub-ftdi cable directly in a HEQ5). It's been driving me made for the last couple of day, so any pointers within this subject would be great.

After installing all my gear into my observatory, I went through a period of lost connection problems from the laptop to the NEQ6. I solved mine (touch wood) by doing two things:

1. Using a dedicated 12V supply for the mount. My 12V bench power supply is dual output so one is used for the mount and the second for everything else.

2. Replaced the 5V powered USB hub with a 12V industrial one (as discussed recently in this thread:http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/187079-startech-industrial-usb-hub/)

Since doing these 2 things I've had no problems at all with any of my gear.

I'd agree with the independent power suggestions. I had major issues with EQMOD and my HEQ5 but all was solved when I switched my laptop to another plug socket rather than using the same extension as the mount... Still have no idea why it solved the problem...

I'm running the mount from a separate regulated power supply (Maplin 13.5v 7A) and the EQDIR from a separate USB port and cable but stil I get problems now and again :( Then it needs the computer rebooted before I can continue - a real pain. I don't know where the problem is - I've tried all sorts of things.

In fact I had trouble with it last night. I decided to stay up and watch it. Fine until about 12:40 then I noticed the image was shifting across the screen. Checked guiding display and it had lost it - the stars were walking across the screen. Checked up and found the EQMOD had failed so no guiding and even the tracking had gone I think, otherwise it wouldn't be losing the tagget so quickly (unless EQMOD was sending pulses but not responding to input). I was tired by then so decided to call it a night - the subs weren't all that good anyway.

SO... If anyone has any ideas of what to try next I'd be very grateful :)

I'm having very similar problems these last few days. There must be a common factor here somewhere. For me its everytime I plug in my DSLR. Suddenly despite a session of perfect gotos and no glitches and i get 'telescope not connected' error message in CDC - EQascom hangs. I have tried using powered hubs/cables but with no success. EQmod and the DSLR arent using the same hub as eqmod seems to prefer the lower speed usb controller whilst the DSLR always runs via the enhanced USB2 controller. No power issue here either as all on AC power. I'm stumped. Had a decent visual session though.

Yes, I do use CdC - I start EQMOD ASCOM from CdC and I leave CdC running. Then I use AstroTortilla to slew to the target until it's within 1 arcminute and close AT. Next run PHD, calibrate and run guiding, checking the graph. Then a final check on focussing before using Atremis Sequencer to run my imaging sequence (Ha, 2 x OIII, 2 x SII and repeat). For several nights now all has been well for about an hour or so then EQMOD stops working and guiding fails. As you mention CdC I'm wondering if it might be better if I close CdC leaving only PHD connected to EQMOD. Might try that tonight if it's clear. I guess it's best to have the minimum of software running. I want TeamViewer running so that I can check how things are from indoors.

Has anyone upgraded EQAscom recently? I think I may have done so just prior to these issues. I'll have to check the laptop.

I guess I put the latest version on when I changed to the laptop from the netbook. I think this problem is more recent.

Another thought is whether it's some other software not running but maybe starting up on a schedule. As I said in the Imaging - Deep Sky forum, I'm getting that problem every time now - EQMOD dying and killing the guiding after a couple of hours (or less). I really need to nail this one - it's a big problem. I'm now thinking this could be due to other software starting up on a schedule but I don't know what. I've disabled auto-updates and scheduled AV runs etc. AFAIK. This was by going into the software concerned and setting options but I wonder if there's something else hiding in the morass that is Win 7 et al.

I don't know if there's anything here that could be it as I suspect nothing shows until something actually runs but here's the Processes list.

post-13131-0-88330900-1373365654_thumb.p

I've found a task sheduled for 00:30 but can't see how to disable/reschedule it as yet. Looks like it din't run until after EQMOD ASCOM stopped though so I'll go on through the vast list :D

Last good image download was 23:00 last night and the failure occurred during the next 10 minutes. So guess I'm looking for a task scheduled between 23:00 and 23:10 and I haven't found it yet.

post-13131-0-47084900-1373368340_thumb.p

Whilst we have ytWWhilst we have the same symptom my problem begins at a more precise point ie as soon as I plug in the and turn on the DSLR. The same kit/setup was working just fine 2 weeks ago so I have to look for whatever it is that's changed. The only things from your process list that i'd probably kill are your Asus live-update (often glitchy especially on 64 bit systems), sidebar (more of a personal pref. really) and yontoo desktop (which is probably a BHO and possibly virus/spyware related).

Whilst we have ytWWhilst we have the same symptom my problem begins at a more precise point ie as soon as I plug in the and turn on the DSLR. The same kit/setup was working just fine 2 weeks ago so I have to look for whatever it is that's changed. The only things from your process list that i'd probably kill are your Asus live-update (often glitchy especially on 64 bit systems), sidebar (more of a personal pref. really) and yontoo desktop (which is probably a BHO and possibly virus/spyware related).

Thank you for that :) Yes, we have different causes, though yours could be that something starts up when the DSLR is connected. Could you do a System Restore to before you have the problem? Or had you added/changed too much since then?

There are several things on my system that I don't know the reason for. I guess I could do a system save so that if I remove anything I want I can do a system restore. I think once a system is running properly, updates aren't needed. Why try to fix what doesn't need fixing?! Must say, I've found system resore invaluable in the past.

Thank you for that :) Yes, we have different causes, though yours could be that something starts up when the DSLR is connected. Could you do a System Restore to before you have the problem? Or had you added/changed too much since then?

There are several things on my system that I don't know the reason for. I guess I could do a system save so that if I remove anything I want I can do a system restore. I think once a system is running properly, updates aren't needed. Why try to fix what doesn't need fixing?! Must say, I've found system resore invaluable in the past.

Yes I've had to use system restore on a few occasions where antivirus software fails me. However I limit the amount of space on my laptop for system restore/restore points as its quite an old machine and im running it 'light' as I term it :) I do like to get 7-10 years out of a laptop for my money. 2 gig RAM and 2 ghz core2duo is still good for most things. Yes, maybe me plugging in the DSLR is initiating the same process that is affecting yours. I cant put my finger on it but possibly the autoplay pop-up is involved somehow. I'm going to try plugging in and turning on the DSLR before I even connect up the mount and ascom. Must remember to disable auto-power off though. All this trouble-shooting aside I do have the inkling feeling that its EQAscom related. Maybe Chris will be along shortly. His input on this would be most useful.

In the end it appears to be the active USB cables from the house to the pier that was causing the problems for me.

I pulled through a Cat5e cable from the house to the pier and now plug the HP Mini directly into the pier USB hub and connect the HP Mini to my local lan via the Cat5e, then using Remote Desktop I just log into the HP Mini from anywhere in the house to control things. since doing this I have not had any comms issues.

Gina, what does the output from the EQMod Message Center say when you have a problem?

As anyone raised this issue in the eqmod yahoo forum?

cheers

Steve

I would but yahoo and me have a chequered history with my account getting hacked leading to me losing loads of images when they took over Flickr.

Hi Guys and Gal's,

Gina... the following may help you to temporarily, or permanently, disable any scheduled activities.

Task scheduling in Windows.

XP

· To prevent a task from running until you decide to let it run again, right-click the task in the Scheduled Tasks window, and then click Properties. On the General tab, clear the Enabled check box. Select the check box again to enable the task when you are ready to let the task scheduler run it again.

Windows 7 and Vista

Disable a Task from Running

3 out of 8 rated this helpful - Rate this topic

Applies To: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Vista

If you want to stop a task from running for a certain period of time, you can disable the task. The task can be enabled at a later time so that it is allowed to run. For more information, see Enable a Task to Run.

To disable a task from running by using the Windows interface

1. If Task Scheduler is not open, start Task Scheduler. For more information, see Start Task Scheduler.

2. Find and click the task folder in the console tree that contains the task you want to disable.

3. In the console window, click the task that you want to disable.

4. In the Actions pane, click Disable . The Disable command will only be available in the Actions pane if the task is enabled.

Enable a Task to Run

2 out of 10 rated this helpful - Rate this topic

Applies To: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Vista

When a task is disabled, which stops a task from running, you can enable the task so that it can be run on demand or when it is scheduled to run.

To enable a task to run by using the Windows interface

5. If Task Scheduler is not open, start Task Scheduler. For more information, see Start Task Scheduler.

6. Find and click the task folder in the console tree that contains the task you want to enable.

7. In the console window, click the task that you want to enable.

8. In the Actions pane, click Enable . The Enable command will only be available in the Actions pane if the task is disabled.

A lot of the problems with USB are bandwidth related... Camera's are allocated the isochronous communications group priority with up to 90% of the available bandwidth... leaving just 10% for control and interupt devices.

Another common problem is failing to realise that the bandwidth is allocated to the USB HOST controller built into your PC/laptop.

Most modern pc/laptops have at least 2 USB host controllers and the available USB ports are shared between them.

On Laptops, which often only have 3 USB ports, 2 can be on one controller and the 3rd will be on the other.

If you plug a hub into one USB port, with your mount + guidecam connected and then plug a DSLR into a separate USB port and both USB ports are running from the same HOST Controller, then the 2 cameras will be forced to share the 90% allocation... which could easily result in the guide camera not being able to respond quickly enough... if the DSLR just happens to be downloading at the time... RESULT... lost comms.

It is always better to keep cameras on different HOST CONTROLLERS... which can be found out from the DEVICE MANAGER.

Poor quality cables can also be a very significant issue.

All Good fun though.

Keep Happy.

Best regards.

Sandy.

The software that gives me the most grief has been flashplayer, I've seen it running an hour after the browser was closed and hammering the cpu! (default it is always disabled) on all my systems. Sneak-on-software that has piggybacked on an install of unrelated purchased/free software (Mcaffee is the worst intruder). Most of the latter can be seen in the Apps uninstall list but it needs checking regularly. I think I've seen Windows-update re-enable the windows firewall on several occasions, so that's 2 that can be running along with unwelcome multiple AV programs! Teamviewer also gave problems making additional connections to remote internet sites, now switched to Windows remote desktop.

Now use direct USB connections with no external hubs, much more stable.

Hi Lonestar. I too thought it may be bandwidth related so I monitored allocated bandwidth for each controller. The QHY5 didn't exceed 20% nor the DSLR - both on enhanced USB2.0 controller. Their power usage also didn't exceed the permitted maximum although the QHY5 got close at 450 mA. I've used them on these ports in this configuration many times previously. The mount control is on a separate standard USB host controller. I deleted the 2 other non-required host controller interfaces/root hubs to see if that made a difference but it didn't. I also tried 2 different external powered hubs in a variety of configurations so i'm almost certain its not hardware/USB port related in this instance.

The software that gives me the most grief has been flashplayer, I've seen it running an hour after the browser was closed and hammering the cpu! (default it is always disabled) on all my systems. Sneak-on-software that has piggybacked on an install of unrelated purchased/free software (Mcaffee is the worst intruder). Most of the latter can be seen in the Apps uninstall list but it needs checking regularly. I think I've seen Windows-update re-enable the windows firewall on several occasions, so that's 2 that can be running along with unwelcome multiple AV programs! Teamviewer also gave problems making additional connections to remote internet sites, now switched to Windows remote desktop.

Now use direct USB connections with no external hubs, much more stable.

I've had windows vista re-anable processes ive terminated too. Quite annoying. No such problems with windows 7 although there is probably a checkbox or registry option somewhere to sort it.

I've been unable to get Remote Desktop to work either with XP or Win 7 - I have a feeling you need the Professional edition for this to work. OTOH TeamViewer works with any edition and any OS platform so I can use my MacBook to watch the Win 7 machine in the warm room. Also, this problem has only arisen recently - in the past the same setup has run for the whole night and still running in the morning (except guiding doesn't work after dawn :D). EQMOD ASCOM was still working and I could park the scope remotely via TeamViewer. So like Daddystu something has changed recently. Unfortunately, I never thought of doing a system save after I'd got everything working (aanother sign of getting old I suppose).

Archived