Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Universal Astronomics Unimount Light.

For some time now I've been searching for an ideal way to mount my 15x70 binocular. I've been striving for stability, freedom of movement and comfort (well, as much comfort as possible with a straight through binocular!)

I tried the monopod/trigger grip ball head approach first, and although a brilliant grab & go set-up, I quickly decided I wanted a more stable tripod mounted platform.

Next up I tried a Horizon 8115 tripod & head, the less said about that one the better! Basically, the tripod is quite good but the head left a lot to be desired! To cut a long story short, I ended up with a pretty decent Manfrotto tripod and fluid video head (475b/502AH).

I've been using this set-up for a few months now and although very stable, approx 60° of altitude is about as much as my neck can take! As well as that, the higher the angle of altitude, the closer the binocular gets to the tripod, and as such, things start to get cramped. This is where a binocular with angled eyepieces would have a huge advantage. So, after much deliberation, I bit the bullet and purchased a parallelogram mount......

post-11833-0-02140900-1370297154_thumb.j

post-11833-0-53084800-1370297205_thumb.j

post-11833-0-20815500-1370297253_thumb.j

The Unimount Light is rated at 12lb capacity (providing the ultra swing hinge is not used), 10lb with the hinge attached. My 15x70 Helios Apollo weighs in at 5lb, so not overly taxing on the mount. In saying that though, the mount, weights and bino assembled on the tripod is over 20lbs & getting close to its 26lb rated capacity!

Whether standing or seated, even reclined, the comfort & freedom of movement is just a joy! The range of motion is amazing. From a seated/reclined position I can take in huge swaythes of sky without repositioning the chair. Not only does the binocular swing through 180° via the swing hinge........

post-11833-0-09502100-1370297296_thumb.j

it can also be rotated independantly 360° via the dovetail and saddle arrangment.......

post-11833-0-84550500-1370297327_thumb.j

Every motion is buttery smooth with virtually zero backlash. I do notice a bit more oscillation when using the tripod with the legs part extended (for standing observation), maybe 2-3 seconds of damp down time, but not objectionable considering the length of the arm. With the tripod legs fully retracted (seated observation only), the damp down time decreases. I think if I ever put a bigger binocular on it, I would look out for a surveyors tripod for added stability.

I love observing with binoculars and this arrangment has taken the whole experience to another level for me. Of all the astro kit I have purchased over the years, this has to rank up there as one of my very best acquisitions! Although definitely not inexpensive for what it is, I would highly recommend the Unimount Light to anyone considering going down the parallelogram road.

Clear Skies :-)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move, Damo! I have had the T-mount (beefier and shorter, for use with my 100mm binocular) for about 10 years now and absolutely love it! Superbly engineered bit of kit and, IMO, worth every penny!

One thing you might want to do: when you have the weight shaft extended to the correct balance point, put a jubilee clip (pipe clip) on it "inside" to stop it going any further; you can then extend it exactly the right amount very quickly.

Cheers Steve! Thats a good tip re the jubilee clip. There is nothing to stop the weight shaft falling all the way out if the locking screw was accidently left disengaged so it would also sort that out.

There is nothing to stop the weight shaft falling all the way out if the locking screw was accidently left disengaged so it would also sort that out.
Try it: with weights on, it doesn't shift even if you put it at as low an angle as possible. The lateral torque causes the bar to lock. (I found it hard to believe when Larry told me, so tried it.)

I bought this one from the USA Michael (Big Binocular) and saved a few quid on UK pricing. The sole UK dealer didn't think it was important to reply to my emails for some reason??

The Unimount without the ultra swing hinge and handle is $299 (£195) or $390 (£250) with both included.

How much do these cost?
I bought my T-mount directly from Universal Astronomics (the manufacturer) about 10 years ago. It cost me a tad over £400 once I'd paid import duty, VAT, etc., + £40 for a decent tripod (from York Survey -- prices have more than doubled since!) Today I completed the job by making the spreader that I've been threatening for a decade (enables tripod to be used on hard surface): another £3.77 down the pan... :grin:
The sole UK dealer didn't think it was important to reply to my emails for some reason??
I've completely given up with him for the same reason (see my review in the dealer section). For years, Larry Patriarca (the man behind UA, who designs the mounts) wouldn't have a European/UK dealer because he objected to the mark-up they wanted to put on his products. Then he chose that one. Go figure!

This is the first item from the states I have been nabbed for to pay import duty unfortunately :sad: By the time I added shipping, import duty + VAT it came to £415! From the UK supplier (I've had a gander in the supplier review section Steve :shocked:) the same package inc shipping totaled £506 so still a healthy saving!

Good move Damo......you can get into some seriously laid back viewing now.

I was having a look at these on Big Bins as well, something for the future. I suppose something of this size has less of a chance of sneaking through customs than an EP.

Kevin @ Oberwerk is great to deal with, great communications and is always very quick and willing to sort out any problems. Even at the weekend.

Hope you get years of use out of these.

• 2 weeks later...

That is an interesting review Damien :smiley:

We have contacted Larry in the hope of becoming a UK retailer for his products.

Steve

I think you should send him a link to this thread Steve :wink:

Helen

Hi, Larry from Universal Astronomics. Thanks to all for the product/company praise. Just to clarify regarding dealers, about 10-12 years ago, a certain store was the first European Dealer to request being a dealer for us but wanted exclusive rights to all of Europe. I refused on the premise that the dealer would be free to charge what ever they wanted and customers would be forced to pay higher prices and not even be able to purchase direct from me. As a consequence of my stance, that store did not become (and still is not) a dealer of our products. All dealers are welcome to sell my products, but I refuse to cater to one at the expense of another, to me that's not free enterprise but rather a sort of monopoly that places profit ahead of consumer convenience. In the end, the store and the manufacturer may benefit, but the astronomy community does not. In short, any and all dealers are welcome . Larry

In short, any and all dealers are welcome . Larry

Excellent.

Do be careful though not to appoint dealers who are not prepared to carry stock. If they simply relay the order to you but increase the retail price to us Brits then that benefits nobody :smiley:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Steve

Archived