SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Universal Astronomics Unimount Light.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the dealer who doesn't stock product (I'm guilty myself when it comes to stocking optics) and undercuts everyone's prices, shame on him, but for the dealer who doesn't stock product and charges MORE than everyone else, shame on the customer who wasn't smart enough to shop around. Larry

Thanks for the welcome. I should also comment regarding the safety of the counterweight shaft on the UniMounts. The UniMount had always been designed for quick setup and break down, even if it needs to be broken down into smaller components to fit in a bag or case. The counterweight shaft on the first UniMount 15 years ago, is identical to what it is today, a free sliding shaft that fits thru (2) 1" long slide tubes. During normal use if one were to leave the clamp knob loose, the shaft can slip position (although it usually won't move unless you jerk the mount quickly). But, the lack of a "safety pin" is of no concern since even if the shaft where to race towards exiting the mount, is soon as it exits the first slide tube, it binds in the second. The ONLY exception that would allow the shaft to exit and reach the ground is if you are carrying the mount vertically (during setup or tear down), then you need to watch your toes if the shaft lock were accidentally left loose. I was always bothered by a review done years ago on Cloudy Nights that complained (the only complaint mind you) about the lack of a safety clip or pin, yet no one in 15 years can attest to ever having a mishap during normal use. Larry

• 1 year later...

Hi Damo et al

I posted on your 'new Manfrotto' topic earlier, but have just spotted your UniMount (just what I'm after). I'd still like to upgrade my old tripod to the 475b (or similar) Manfrotto legs, how does the UniMount attach to your Manfrotto legs? I can see the pics,just not sure if it's a directly compatible (or standard) mount of sorts.

Great to hear from UA directly, thanks for commenting Larry (I appreciate it's a while ago now!).

And, Steve, do you stock the UA kit now? I'll save up for one of those... bit too much of an ask for a Christmas present!

I've just spotted a 'BinoLight' mount on universalastronomics.com, but I can't find any more info (site nav doesn't work on an ipad), but wonder if anyone has used a BinoLight?

Below is quoted directly from their site:

UA mounts that require a Tripod Mounting Post are noted and include the customers choice of one standard post. Choices are listed below. All counterweights needed for max rated load are included.

BinoLight Mount (New!)-

(3 degrees of motion, 3/8-16 or 5/8-11 tripod thread mounting. No tripod mounting post needed)

01401 BinoLight Mount (7 lb capacity, includes one 2.5 lb weight and a camera tripod L-Bracket 04301) $179+15 sh

UniMount-

(4 degrees of motion for ease of use sitting or standing, additional degrees of motion optional. Tripod Mounting Post required)

01101 UniMount Light-(12 lb capacity, includes 2 five lb weights) $299+20 sh

01105 Millennium UniMount (30 lb capacity, includes 5 five lb weights) $499+40 sh

01107 Sirius UniMount (50 lb capacity, includes 4 ten lb weights) $999+75 sh

01108 Sirius B Fujinon Mount (Discontinued)

T-Mount-

(4 degrees of motion with shorter arms than the UniMount for greater portability or stability, additional degrees of motion optional. Tripod Mounting Post required)

01301 T-Mount Light for Binos (15 lb capacity, includes 1 five lb weight) $259 +15 sh

01302 T-Mount Light for Telescopes (12 lb capacity, includes 1 five lb weight) $259 +15 sh

01303 T-Mount for Binos (30 lb capacity, includes 3 five lb weights) $449 + 30 sh

01304 T-Mount for telescopes (25 lb capacity, includes 3 five lb weights) $449 + 30 sh

• 1 year later...

Thanks Damo for the excellent setup pics - they were a great help in choosing the mount and in initial setup. In case this is useful for others I have knocked up a quick (longish) vid that walks through the setup of the mount:

Archived