Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simple but effective - Telrad 4" riser

Viewing comfort is very important to me and being 6'3", I find short dobsonians a bit uncomfortable over the duration of an evening's observing. For this reason I use right angle correct image finders and Telrads.

However, one issue with the Telrad on shorter OTA's is that it's hard to get your head into position when observing at higher elevations, especially the zenith; a degree of gymnastics is needed!

On a slight whim I order one of the Telrad risers http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-riser.html from FLO and thought I'd go for the 4" rather than the 2". I am so glad I did. The riser provides an additional 4" of height to the Telrad and therefore makes alignment even at the zenith really easy.

I'll certainly be ordering another one for my other Telrad and look forward to less neckache and frozen cheeks in winter too! For just under £15 delivered, this is money well spent.

The construction is strong and light and matches the Telrad as you'd expect. I'd think the 2" would also work well but for me the 4" is far better.

I've seen these for sale and they looked a good idea. It's good to know that they work well in practice too. Thanks for the report Shane :smiley:

It's good to find something useful that does not cost much as well !

I think I might well get a four inch one for my 10" Dob in the future.

The two inch version works very well but I reckon the four inch would be better still.

I don't think I'll need a riser on the big scope.

Archived