NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

This scope is back again beware

tich

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This scam is perpetrated so often on E-Bay, it's getting ridiculous.

You would think that once this is reported, probably hundreds of times, they would be able to flag it instantly.

These ads are placed under e.bay id's that have been stolen / compromised. There have been dozens of them over the past months all selling the same premium gear using the same photos but different, nicked, e.bay id's. They run for a short while then e.bay pulls them. I reported a few in the past but there have been so many that you can't keep on top of them :rolleyes2:

H'mm my first double post............... :huh:

Just tried a post that refused to post and discovered if I click on the refresh thingy, top left it then posts without doubling up.

Dave

I am also amazed at some of the sellers stating Ex-display and then having more than 10 to sell (e.g. This one)

Who puts more than one of the same model scope on display in their shop...

There are reasons why some dealers do this. Anyone in the business will know what I,m referring too

I got a reply from the shop owner in this instance and they were already working with eBay to get it sorted.

They had been hacked and thanked me for taking time to alert them.

As you can see the offending items are now removed.

Im not sure if it the same tactic but I have bought stuff in the past when the seller has x amount to sell on a buy it now then they email you to say they were expecting stock that hasn't arrived yet. It is very frustrating.

Just to be clear, what I posted was two separate items apparently being sold by a reputable dealer.

However, the account has been hacked by some chancers who want potential buyers to contact them for a buy it now price via a shopuk123@gmail.com email address.

This is nothing to do with the owner of the hacked account who often knows nothing about it.

The scammer requests money be sent outside of PayPal protection. Of course the scammer has no telescope to sell and wouldn't send it if he did.

When ebay catch up with any particular item he/she just hacks another account and puts the exact same advert on there..

Who knows how much cash this ones got away with :(

• 4 weeks later...

Do these peple ever get prosecuted?

How on earth would the law go about locating them?

Would take hundreds of man hours to locate and prosecute.

The police would probably not pursue it, on cost grounds alone.

I doubt they are even in the UK.

I haven't tried it but imagine that when you e.mail them you'll be given instructions for wiring money to some recipient whose identity is not easily traceable.

A harsh lesson for the victims.

Archived