Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another ATIK 314 or 460/490 thread !!!

AP practically impossible in summer months anyway so no rush to make a decision.

As I understand it, and I've yet to try it, if you use a mono camera then you can image in narrowband during the summer.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I manage an hour or two imaging in the summer and yes NB certainly helps. But we're almost the lowest lattitude in the UK at just under 51 degrees so that's an advantage over more northern places.

As I understand it, and I've yet to try it, if you use a mono camera then you can image in narrowband during the summer.

During daylight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think you'll find a guide star!

Actually, having said that, check out half way down this page for the the link entitled "The Orion Nebula in Daytime" http://www.sizinguptheuniverse.com/ You can see what's technically possible even after sunrise! As the owner of the website said in a recent podcast ...

To illustrate the amazing effectiveness of narrowband filters I once took an H-alpha picture of the Orion Nebula one half hour after sunrise. Light pollution doesn’t get much worse than that! While my telescope was taking the picture, I used a point-and-shoot camera to take a snapshot of the Sun shining off from my neighbor’s window as proof that the Sun was up and shining brightly when I took this picture. Now, granted, this is perhaps the worst astrophotograph I have ever taken. But, it proves that one can take narrowband images even under the worst imaginable conditions.

Actually, having said that, check out half way down this page for the the link entitled "The Orion Nebula in Daytime" http://www.sizinguptheuniverse.com/ You can see what's technically possible even after sunrise! As the owner of the website said in a recent podcast ...

To illustrate the amazing effectiveness of narrowband filters I once took an H-alpha picture of the Orion Nebula one half hour after sunrise. Light pollution doesn’t get much worse than that! While my telescope was taking the picture, I used a point-and-shoot camera to take a snapshot of the Sun shining off from my neighbor’s window as proof that the Sun was up and shining brightly when I took this picture. Now, granted, this is perhaps the worst astrophotograph I have ever taken. But, it proves that one can take narrowband images even under the worst imaginable conditions.

Interesting read... and to go back to the OP's original Q. That was taken with a Sony 285 chip... +1 for the 314.. :grin:

I carry on through the "light " months

but I'm stubborn and usually switch to NB ha mostly with the SX H9 thats 8 years old.

We will see what happens when I get the upgrade to the 694.

I also have a project that has 2 years with the DSLR and the 60mm Tak, around the crescent neb and another year to be added shortly.

Steve

I've given up for summer.. last session was nearly a month ago.

Crikey! You located way up North?

I'm still going down here in the midlands. Just means late nights is all.

Was clear in Nottingham last night. It was dark enough to properly see Ursa Major at around 10:30. Fighting cats awoke me at 15:20 and I went out to see what was going on. It was still clear but stars were disappearing into the coming light.

So not much opportunity for imaging if you have to be at work!

So NB imaging sounds interesting. Just a matter of Polar Aligning etc in daytime ! :p

Crikey! You located way up North?

I'm still going down here in the midlands. Just means late nights is all.

Not really.. but even at 55N once the clocks have changed there's little time for a decent image run. For me it has to be on a Fri or Sat night by then so that I'm not working next day. Plus the weather has to play ball too! I'm taking up Solar this summer to compensate but so far I'm in the same boat with that. Can only do at weekends AND the weather has to play ball too... so far it hasn't worked out either!

Not really.. but even at 55N once the clocks have changed there's little time for a decent image run.

I'm lucky enough to have a permanent set up, so a few hours here and there soon add up.

As for late night's - I restrict myself to one a week if I'm working.

As for late night's - I restrict myself to one a week if I'm working.

I find I cannot cope with late nights, my professional work performance suffers. Even in winter it is very rare I am out after 01:00 and that's at the weekend. During the week imaging is out during summer. Which of course means I need to rely on clear nights at the weekend. Yeah right.....!

• 1 year later...

Been saving up and got about £1000 ready :) The device needs to work on my ED80 scope with FRFF and also on my GSO RC8 scope.

I have been playing around on CCDcalc and on 12dstring online tool it looks to me the 314L could come in quite nice! I can get quite reasonably wide fields with 314 on the ED80 and more zoomed in for individual GC's and galaxies with my RC8. With the filter wheel and filters thrown from FLO for about £1600 thats a good deal. Or I could get a 460EX which is £2000 for just the camera and then I'd need the FW + filters. So over £1000 more. Hmm..... I was going to go for the 460EX but now not so sure. There is a large community of users of the 314 and that counts a lot. I know GIna, Olly, Johnrc and others rate this camera. I will also be a beginner with CCD so there sa part of me saying that the 314L wil be more than adequate! And £1000 less in total....

Appreciate thoughts and pointers please? In other words, please convince me one way or the other! Got another six - eight weeks or so before I pull the trigger on this.

Rgds, Steve

I love re visiting old threads, looks like you have been spending Steve :)

Myself I just bought my 3rd 314L but this time the none + model as it was so cheap, ive also since sold the APM and am running on a budget priced quattro, my kit is cheap as chips and I'm loving the hobby as much as I did 7 years ago :)

Archived