Wide Field Scorpious

Got some really nice skies last night so I spend some time shooting, would of gotten more but was getting a bit cold and late.

This is just a first initial stack, will spend more time on and see if I can improve it.

Since the stars were originally quite hard to see it wasn't obvious that was Scorpious so using some star diffractions I think it really helped out to bring out what I was going for. I know some people don't like them but it was a style choice I suppose.

Canon 550D with Nikkor 24mm f2.8 @ f2.8, 6400ISO

61 x 10s, 42 x 6s = 14min 36sec exposure time

40 Darks for each set

45 Bias frames

Stacked using DeepSkyStacker and edited in Lightroom and Photoshop.

fullstack1adjusted2diff.jpg

Thanks for viewing :)

I will be adding some more data to this when weather permits, would love to get the fainter stuff more prominent as well as reduce noise.

I love it when people are honest with me, so I'll try to follow suit.

That first image is blumming awful! Crunchy, over-sharpened, clipped and those diffraction spikes make it look even worse.

That second images is way...way...WAY better!!! Detail is great, not over-sharpened, colours are spot on and well balanced. Very subtle processing and realistically depicted.

Fantastic job and a marked improvement on the first would be the understatement of the week.

blumming well done!

That first image is blumming awful! Crunchy, over-sharpened, clipped and those diffraction spikes make it look even worse.

That second images is way...way...WAY better!!! Detail is great, not over-sharpened, colours are spot on and well balanced. Very subtle processing and realistically depicted.

Fantastic job and a marked improvement on the first would be the understatement of the week.

blumming well done!

Thanks for the honesty and yeah I do agree with you there but I did the processing a different way.

On the first image I was curious to know how DDS processing options are and so this is what came out of it basically. Now I know for sure to never bother with it as I usually always save a clean unaltared image and in Photoshop edit the curves.

Only way to get better is to practice and I must say I learned a few tricks while working on this so all in all it went well for me. The first image holds no value when I look at it, but to me it just looks cool and nothing else.

The second image is wow, just like when under dark skies looking up :)

Thanks! I will be adding more data to this when weather clears up and see if more details show up or if it just cleans up the noise. Can't really do more then 10s exposures.

i agree with the first image is a little "overdone" and the spikes are a bit ott, but the second image is a stunner! very well processed, and has very nice colour. i would keep the first image as it will make a nice indication in the future of how you have improved your processing of an image to get a more pleasing result.you are spot on when you said "Only way to get better is to practice and I must say I learned a few tricks while working on this so all in all it went well for me" keep up the good work!

blumming well done!

Aussie's aint known for their tact, and this is no exception.................but i have to completely agree with Baz. I am a fan of diffraction spikes in certain images, if they are used sparingly and look natural and enhance the image. In the case of the 1st image they do none of that.

It doesnt matter because that 2nd image is just brilliant.

Archived