NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An unusual view of Saturn, 5th May 2013

lukebl

Hi all,

My first proper attempt at Saturn this season. As others have noted, the low elevation and bad seeing haven't helped at all. IMG132e, 3000 frames, 3x televue Barlow, 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian.

8717160036_ac330dff29_z.jpg

These cams aren't designed for long exposures, but just for fun I thought I'd see what moons I could capture with a series of 3 second exposures. Here's the result, 50 x 3s and managed to capture 13th mag Mimas and 12th mag. Enceladus. Obviously the planet was hopelessly overexposed, so I inserted the above image and put the layer state to 'difference', and got this rather interesting effect. Not high-res stuff, but a bit of fun.

8716041295_3fd4785d4f_z.jpg

8717160360_368c6637a9_z.jpg

Thanks a lot, guys!

Great idea ! Is it possible to capture its moons not overexposed with a decent scope ?

No. You can't avoid overexposing such a bright object when imaging a faint one nearby. Here's a capture I did a while back of Himailia, one of Jupiter's fainter moons. As you see, Jupiter itself is a tiny bit over-exposed! As are Callisto and Ganymede, the bright objects nearly lost in the glare to lower left and upper right. All the other objects are just stars.

jupiter_2011_11_17a.jpg

A little trick. Take an image of the moons and an over exposed planet, then take another with a normal exposure planet and just stack them (cut and paste). It's not a foul in planetary imaging and creates some nice full picture images.

Archived