Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher pillar for EQ6, why?

Oops, sorry, I meant a pillar as a replacement for the tripod. Something like this one.

I'm just curious whether or not you need an adapter in order to attach the NEQ6 mount to the pillar? How sturdy is it? And, can it act as a permanent set-up in the garden? Of course, once not in use I can wrap and cover it from weather conditions.

I'm mainly asking 'cause I recently hurt my back when I tried to take the mount and the tripod into the garden, and also anything that will save time and hassle will be more than welcome.

PILLARHEQ5EQ6.jpg

Edited by emadmoussa

Not sure what you mean, but if it's the pillar extension...then I can only say they work very well...give you that extra height with stablility...

Yes, also, an extension will be beneficial especially if you're using a 6" refractor. Been thinking about it, we'll see.

The pillar mount from SW (as shown in the FLO link) is suprisingly well made, and a lot heavier than I'd expected. The pier/mount adaptor is included and is better than the one I have on my Explore Scientific pier. The height is a little low so an extension may be a good idea.

Zakalwe (forum member) has a neat litle video of it showing how he protects the mount.

I have the pillar mount and find it very stable. I used to keep it in the garage and transport it to the patio with a sack trolly. A converted tool box contained the cables, etc, so two trips and I was done.

IMG_3410.jpg

scopewithst80-2sml.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

I have the pillar mount and find it very stable. I used to keep it in the garage and transport it to the patio with a sack trolly. A converted tool box contained the cables, etc, so two trips and I was done.

IMG_3410.jpg

scopewithst80-2sml.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

Thanks for sharing the images. Mm...I think that kind of settle it. Looks like a better option than the Tripod. Is it that heavy to carry for like 2 meters (I mean the pillar with the mount attached to it)? Did they stop producing the white ones?

Thanks for sharing the images. Mm...I think that kind of settle it. Looks like a better option than the Tripod. Is it that heavy to carry for like 2 meters (I mean the pillar with the mount attached to it)? Did they stop producing the white ones?

If you remove the weights it's just do-able for me. It is quite heavy, but I could lift it out of the conservatory onto the patio, which was 3-4m. The problem was making sure I didn't hit anything as I went through the door, the stick out legs are prone to catch things. Once out I attached the weights, scope and electronics, etc, and I was ready to polar align in about 40 min starting.

I was thinking probably permanently place it on the garden patio and then leave it their. Of course with weather-proof cover applied after each session. Surely this will reduce set-up time. Has anybody done it?

I was thinking probably permanently place it on the garden patio and then leave it their. Of course with weather-proof cover applied after each session. Surely this will reduce set-up time. Has anybody done it?

Great minds think alike. I have thought of doing exactly that. Do you also intend leaving the mount head on permanently as well?

Great minds think alike. I have thought of doing exactly that. Do you also intend leaving the mount head on permanently as well?

This is what I'm not sure about. Or you can say, I'm not sure I have the heart for that :) But in principle, yes provided I can find or custom make a weather proof cover.

Oh, one thing. I'm selling my tripod. Just want to make sure if the pillar mount comes with everything I need to attach the NEQ6 mount, or do I need to keep, say, the tray knob from the tripod???

Oh, one thing. I'm selling my tripod. Just want to make sure if the pillar mount comes with everything I need to attach the NEQ6 mount, or do I need to keep, say, the tray knob from the tripod???

On the assumption the EQ6 pillar is similar to the HEQ5 pillar I have then there are three allen headed screws holding the pier adapter in place. Remove these to extract the adaptor and connect this to the mount (mine has a captive bolt and handle) then replace the combined adapter/mount back and secure in place with the screws.

It'll pay to get an assistant when assembling the pillar as the three legs are a tricky to hold in place unless you have more than 2 hands.

Steve

• Like 1

I received my pillar yesterday 48 hours after placing the order. I keep getting impressed by the great service of the guys in Germany - Telekop Service. It came in 2 boxes: one for the pillar and the other for the legs. It also comes with 2 alan keys.

Putting it together would easier with another pair of hands. I had to ask the Mrs for help me out and to be honest she was better at pointing things in the right direction. Don't tell her I said that though :D

OK, my impression...It's very strong and sturdy and holds the mount like magic. It's nice to be able to roll the mount effortlessly across the house. The wheels are smooth and neat. By spinning the large screws on the legs downwards it pins the mount to the floor, eliminating any possible wobble or vibration.

I have to say, if I knew I'd would've ordered this mount when I first got my NEQ6. It does make a difference and it's really much better.

One thing, some guys where saying that pillar is short and I might need an extension. I don't think so. It's at least 10-15 cm higher than the tripod (unextended). And unlike the mount you won't have to worry about the telescope hitting the tripod legs when doing a meridian flip. I still agree, if you're using a ''long'' refractor it might be more comfortable if not safer to get an extension. But in my case I don't really need considering the type of gear I have.

By the way, I'm glad I found this ''white'' one...the black pillar would've looked a bit odd. It blends in better in the lounge, less intrusive than the mount. At least this is how I see it :)

I can see that this one is a keeper and the tripod is going.

post-27451-0-41183000-1368172407_thumb.j

post-27451-0-90353200-1368172408_thumb.j

post-27451-0-86897100-1368172409_thumb.j

Just some tips: I found to adjust the leg height, unwind the locking ring, lift the leg slightly, adjust the height bolt and then lower it back to the ground to check if level. Once OK, re-tighten the locking ring. If you try turning the height bolt while its on the ground you soon chew up the rubber pad. PS don't forget to change the latitude bolts on the eq6.