Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher pillar for EQ6, why?

PS don't forget to change the latitude bolts on the eq6.

Lol, everybody seems to recommend that. I honestly never had a problem with them for months. But it's something I might consider in the near future...

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread, I have just taken delivery of this pillar (came in white eq6), it seems extremely sturdy and well made, as others have said, much easier to assemble with extra pair of hands.. My question is, does anyone leave this permanently outside? If so with or without the head and how do you protect it from the elements?

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/230480-my-patio-pier/?hl=%2Bpatio+%2Bpier

I made my patio pier over a year ago and have to say it's working well.

It's permanently​​ fixed and polar aligned (nearly) so all I have to do is drop the tube on connect the dew straps and off I go.

I spray the shiny bits of the mount (Eq 5) with silicone and WD40 and uncover whenever the weather allows to let it "breath"

I cover it with a big strong polythene bag and it appears to have survived all weathers for over a year.

• 2 years later...

My mount stays out on a tripod covered with a scope 'coat' I bought from Green Witch a few years ago. Been soaked, frozen, snow covered and baked and all works perfect every time.

Ron

• 2 years later...
On 05/05/2013 at 21:21, BlueAstra said:

I have the pillar mount and find it very stable. I used to keep it in the garage and transport it to the patio with a sack trolly. A converted tool box contained the cables, etc, so two trips and I was done.

IMG_3410.jpg

Can I ask what is that arm that secures the pillar on your trolley?  I like this setup and want to copy it

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/06/2020 at 13:04, scitmon said:

Can I ask what is that arm that secures the pillar on your trolley?  I like this setup and want to copy it

Sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier, I missed the post. The bracket was made up from some pieces of Dexion (I think it’s called) screwed together, the sack trolly was from Costco. I drilled two holes in the trolly to mount the bracket. It was important to have some form of clip to hold the pillar mount in the bracket Otherwise it would slip out when moving. I don’t use this setup any more so I still have a spare trolly and pillar mount (but not the eq6) available for sale, although they are a bit scruffy now. I took part of the bracket off and would have to look for it now. PM me if you are interested.

Edited by BlueAstra

• 1 month later...

I’m thinking of purchasing a Skywatcher pillar mount for use with an EQ6-R Pro and Skywatcher Esprit 120, for both visual and astrophotography. To get the correct height I will need to use the 8” extension. I estimate that the total payload on the pillar will be about 40kg and it will stand on a good patio. In the light of your experience do you think it will be sufficiently stable ?

The pillar will be stable with that weight on it and will be fone for visual use. For astrophotography I'm not too sure as it does transmit vibration quite badly. Here is a short video showong this... 

I've got my scope set up on the concrete floor of my garage with my laptop on a workable about 4ft away. The image on the screen is at a FL of 1620mm. If I rap my hand on the table the image wobbles noticeably. 

This may be mitigated my filling the pier with expanding foam or using sorbothane pads under the bolts. Also setting up on grass helps (I set up on three long spikes which are set into my front lawn). Also using shorter focal lenghts will obviously result in less image movement.

• 6 months later...

Im thinking of buying one of these to put in my observatory. I don't leave my equipment in there due to security and the area I live in. Does the mount head attach and remove easily enough? Like on the tripod it just screws on with the accessories tray bolt. Or once its attached you need tools to remove it at the end of the night? Also anyone who has one can you tell me the length of the support legs please? Obviously with the tripod legs they stick out quite far. I need something solid but with a smaller footprint so can move round obsy with more ease and without tripping thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Leewfc said:

Im thinking of buying one of these to put in my observatory. I don't leave my equipment in there due to security and the area I live in. Does the mount head attach and remove easily enough? Like on the tripod it just screws on with the accessories tray bolt. Or once its attached you need tools to remove it at the end of the night? Also anyone who has one can you tell me the length of the support legs please? Obviously with the tripod legs they stick out quite far. I need something solid but with a smaller footprint so can move round obsy with more ease and without tripping thanks. 

you will need to unscrew 3 allen bolts to remove it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Leewfc said:

The EQ head is attached to the pillar with 3 hex screws. You could replace with no-tools screws but it’s still not that convenient I’m afraid

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

The EQ head is attached to the pillar with 3 hex screws. You could replace with no-tools screws but it’s still not that convenient I’m afraid

Does anyone have any suggestions on no tool screw bolts that would fit this that they have purchased and used for this please? Where are the screws positioned are they easily accessible? Also still need the support legs measurements if anyone has them so I can work out how much space I would save compared to the tripod. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP

16 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

John Handleby @johninderby posted on SGL about the no tool bolts a few years ago. Can’t locate right now.

I got a set, but I never really got on with them. 

I did too Jeremy and found that they didn’t tighten up enough to keep everything rigid. Allen bolts may be slightly less convenient but a better solution still I think.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

I did too Jeremy and found that they didn’t tighten up enough to keep everything rigid. Allen bolts may be slightly less convenient but a better solution still I think.

As long as I can access them easy enough I can put a screwdriver with an Allen key insert in obsy and use that each time to secure and demount. Are they easy enough to access and reach

3 minutes ago, Leewfc said:

As long as I can access them easy enough I can put a screwdriver with an Allen key insert in obsy and use that each time to secure and demount. Are they easy enough to access and reach

Yes, very easy to get to.

• Thanks 1