Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn May 2nd final process

Below are 3 images taken with the QHY colour and mono cams with 5x powermate. 1st image is 2 colour images combined and de-rotated in winjupos. 2nd is IR mono and lastly IR Colour combo also combined in winjupos. All images are actual scale.

Colour:

gallery_4016_412_25605.png

IR 742 mono:

gallery_4016_412_58106.png

IR/Colour:

gallery_4016_412_26588.png

Stuart, now that you have some experience of the QHY colour cam I wonder if you feel that the gain in sensitivity is sufficient to ditch the DFK 618 in its favour? I have been thinking of selling my DBK618 and SPC900/618 and buying the 2 QHY cams which could be done without too much financial hardship ... any initial thoughts?

Too early to say Alan. The QHY cams have impressed me so far but until I've properly tested them on Jupiter I'm not dispensing with my DFK just yet. I did take some Jupiter shots with the mono cam last month but with jupiter being small its hard to make a comparison until there is fine detail to compare. Saturn being so low is not a great target to compare apart from the light sensitivity which clearly the QHY cams have more of than the DFK.

The faster more flexible frame rate of the QHY is a big advantage not being restricted to either 15,30 or 60fps and of course the larger sensor being great for lunar or solar. They are small and light weight like eyepieces (keep them in my pocket when swapping them over).

Yep, so far so good but i don't think there is a massive difference between the DFK/DBK and QHY5L-ll.

Many thanks for your detailed reply Stuart and I appreciate your point about the lack of suitable targets at the moment for meaningful comparison so I'll hang on to the DBk while the jury is out. I like to capture high res lunar and solar so tempted to get the mono one in the meantime to play with, especially as my SPC/618 takes quite a while to gather sufficient frames.

Cheers

Archived