NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tesco Scope

BlueAstra

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tesco in cumbernauld has a stack of them....slap me now but the box the look and everything and the ten quid price made me want to buy one..

.then actually looking in the box mmmm poor poor poor.sope focusser looked very cheap n nasty tripod was worse a kid using it would last five minutes. ..cmon Tesco at least asda has a celestron in stock now and again ...this isn't a scope just a nasty cheap toy...do it right.....sell skywatcher. ...bet there would be more sold...imagine 24hrs scopes on sale lol...Davy

While I wouldn't suggest buying it, I should say that when I was a kid I had a telescope not too dissimilar to that one and it was enough to get me interested enough in astronomy to take me on to university level. Sure, it was not of great quality, but it was good enough to be able to see the rings of Saturn and the north and south equatorial bands on Jupiter at highest magnification.

Of course, on a forum of people who know their stuff about astronomy and telescopes, going for a more expensive and better quality telescope is clearly the way to go, but cheap telescopes like the Tesco one might just start some kids on the right path who would never have considered it otherwise - few parents are going to want to spend £500 or more for a starter telescope!

New Challenge, what scope would you buy if you only had £10? Or would it be binoculars?

Binoculars

-Even a bit tight on binoculars, though the Lidl 10x50 are within range :-)

-Used 76/700

Also my very first telscope was a fleamarket-76/700 newton, though it would require tinkering to get a stalbe (dobsonian) mount.

-Getting lucky

I also was able to buy a used Lidl/Bresser Skylux on Astro3 for 7€... Some people just don't know what they are selling (or are kind enough to sell it cheaply to beginners)

-Education

The Astromedia hardware-store pipe refractor or their cardboard newton; Very educational and can be fitted into a tube or something to be more durable.

http://www.astromediashop.co.uk/Kits.html

Though for just 10gpb it would only be enough for the optic without the kit...

These seem to crop up often, and to be fair, the guy has sold over 150 of em. Vivitar I think, rubbish but at 31 quid you can see why people buy them thinking they are getting a bargain!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-VALUE-50x-100x-REFRACTOR-ASTRONOMICAL-TELESCOPE-/140773066972?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item20c6ba88dc

Eep! It doesn't even mention the aperture, but who cares, it can magnify 50-100x! ;-)

If people would only buy a 76 dobsonian instead of all those toys, but as said elsewhere already, it's all about advertisement and expectation.

• 3 weeks later...

Moving slightly upmarket, it seems Celestron is also interested in low cost telescopes!

http://www.ebuyer.co...n=b2c_wednesday

Look at the pictures and they have made it look almost good, to an untrained eye it might be a great thing to buy. However read the comments and you will see exactly why it is only 20 quid. (qoute; it's a toy, don't bother)

Do you know, this brings back horrible memories. As a kid, thousands of years ago, I was very interested in astrology astronomy, reading all the books about it I could. So, one birthday I asked my mum and dad to get me a telescope which they duly did from Argos or something. I remember being so excited about what would come out that night, what I could see, I couldn't wait for it to get dark. I imagined amazing scenes of saturn's rings, jupiter's great red spot, the andromeda galaxy and so on; all of which were salivatingly placed as pictures on the box.

What did I get? Well, you know. The scope was hardly worth it for burning ants with in the garden under the sun. Afterwards, my enthusiasm for astronomy went down the pan, and I didn't get back into it until I was older and was able to understand about scopes and their limitations.

Personally, I'd rather see all these scopes banned - they are completely wrong in every sense. If only I was Prime Minister!

:-)

Archived