NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I do not believe it!!

Galilean

I took my PST to my Astronomy group meeting today, it being nice and sunny. All the folks were oohing and aahing at the prominences, when suddenly the image disappeared. I had a fiddle but could see nothing amiss, the sun was still centre in the solar finder. Then I noticed it - a great glob of BIRD [removed word] right over the objective lens. Had to rush home to sort it out before it set into concrete. A gentle swab with cotton wool and clean water appears to have done the trick with no obvious permanent damage.

So there are other hazards to day-time astronomy that you would not necessarilyexpect!

Hi,

If it isn't bad enough for them flying in front of the sun, I would say that is very unlucky. Like Alexandra, I carry my cleaning kit (blower, papers, fluid, sensor pen,etc) with my Ha scope as I seem to use it nearly every session, whereas with night time it hardly ever gets used.

Robin

I wonder if there's something about the reflections off the lenses that attracts them?

James

Maybe - I once saw a bird attacking its reflection in a car´s door mirror. But it didn´t poop on it!

Archived