Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

One last shot before the band breaks up......!

Stu

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done a fair bit of planning recently to try and work out what I would ideally like to have, in terms of both eyepieces and scopes. I've mapped out what I want to change this year, and then where I want to be in two years time. Will help me focus on what to buy and what to resist

Stu I also made a decision relating to the type and size of EPs that I want for the various types of scopes that I have. I like the Ethos range, so, as stated above, bought the 21mm Ethos. I also recently obtained some new Binoviewers and using the 12.5mm William Optics SPL the view of the Moon and Planets is fantastic. So if you like planetary viewing that is something else to consider.

Mark

I've pretty much decided to aim for Delos at the shorter focal lengths where I think fov is less important, and Ethos or Nagler for wider field stuff. I've got a few BGOs too for planetary viewing but find the eye relief too short at the shorter focal lengths. Actually, that is another eval to do....3.5t6 vs Nag zoom at 3.5mm vs 7mm BGO and PowerMate.....

Stu

When I get it from Mark I could do 6mm Nagler (3-6mm zoom) 'V' 6mm Delos and 6mm BGO. I could do a few more as well but lets not go mad.

Alan

Thanks Mark. I do have a Binoviewer and a couple of pairs of eps for it with the aim of reducing floaters at higher magnifications/smaller exit pupil sizes. Yet another thing which I haven't had the chance to test yet!

Nice pic Stu and an interesting thread :smiley:

I'm in a similar situation with my eyepiece line up at the moment. I'm kicking options around but I'm unsure where I will end up with it all. Possibly with a much simpler set and some £'s in the bank for another scope :undecided:

Perhaps we analyse / agonise over our eyepiece collections too much ? - hark at me talking, I'm one of the worst offenders :rolleyes2:

Thanks John. I would certainly far rather be looking through them than thinking about what to do next but that seems tricky at the moment.

Ideally I would like to get to a rationalised set which covers all requirements, but having a mix of scopes and focal lengths makes that quite tricky. I think I know where I'm heading now so will see whether it gives me what I am looking for.

As I've mentioned, if portability wasn't an issue then I would lose the type 4's and keep the Ethos', but they are so big that it makes them quite impractical to fit into a travel scope case.

I also should use my PowerMate more than I do as it really is excellent. 10mm and 8mm Delos, plus PM would cover a lot of bases at higher mags and I have the 3.5mm nag, plus zoom at the very high powers.

Some clear skies would really help at the moment, just want to get on and use my TV76 with the 21e, should be lovely from a dark site.

Stu

I agree on the Powermate. I've been bowled over on how it does with the 8mm and 6mm Ethos in my refractors as I've posted elsewhere on the forum. Sometimes though it's just nice to pop some small, light weight eyepieces in your pocket and use those for a session.

The problem is gent's when we have a few scopes as we do, well on this page of the thread, 4 eyepieces is never going to be enough. The one reason I will most likely keep the 20mm Nagler, which is a similar size to Stu's 22mm, is that a 21mm Ethos is massive, this in a 70mm scope on top of an LX, I would need extra counterweights

If I were Stu I would maybe sell the 17mm Nagler, but I am sure he will make to right call on this and also let us know. I will have the same situation in May when the only 2 inch eyepieces I will not have are 17mm and 22mm Naglers. It seems a shame not to complete the set though. Then I would need locking away.

Alan

I've pretty much decided to aim for Delos at the shorter focal lengths where I think fov is less important, and Ethos or Nagler for wider field stuff.

I'm thinking the exact opposite. I'm looking at Ethos 8mm as my next eyepiece. I want a large FOV at higher powers. I will be doing an awful lot of high power DSO observing with my next scope. I want as big a FOV as possible at the upper end of my eyepiece collection.

Steve,

I must have made a mess of the quote, it was Stu that wrote that not me. I have the 8mm Ethos and it is a very nice eyepiece, but even for me this is my shortest monster wide. I keep thinking of the 6mm but I have the Delos 6mm, maybe I will get one if I see one at a good price.

What's the next scope?

Alan.

I'm sure it is a fabulous ep, I guess from a cost point of view, the Delos should give the same performance in terms of contrast and sharpness etc. Many of the high mag targets are small so fov is less important. I'll try the PM and 13mm ethos though to see whether I agree with myself after trying it ;-)

Stu

The only issue I have with the Powermate and either Ethos, 13mm or 17mm is the hight you can be above the scope if I am using the Mac/Newt. I always seem to get it in the wrong place, maybe I need a pair of platform shoes.

Alan.

The only issue I have with the Powermate and either Ethos, 13mm or 17mm is the hight you can be above the scope if I am using the Mac/Newt. I always seem to get it in the wrong place, maybe I need a pair of platform shoes.

Alan.

Nah mate, you wanna Dob. The eyepiece comes out parallel to the ground so no height issues :) Powermate, ethos, giant Dob = happy days.

Nah mate, you wanna Dob. The eyepiece comes out parallel to the ground so no height issues :) Powermate, ethos, giant Dob = happy days.

Yep. Makes the scope more useful around the house too ! :grin:

post-118-0-31813400-1365707834_thumb.jpg

Archived