Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Third time out, Saturn 1st time, Baader eyepieces worked well

Hi all, here is my report of first three sessions: - My Scope is the Lyra Optics F11 4" refractor, on manual EQ5 mount, Skywatcher 9 x 50 finderscope.

Baader Hyperion 8mm & 13mm & Bresser 32mm eyepieces, Revelation Astro 2" star diagonal,

Very cold & windy Monday evening - 1st time out. March 11th 2013

For some strange reason the weatherman predicted a break in the cloud around 6.30pm so I kept an eye out and put the scope in the garage to cool down.

The cloud cleared right on time & I didn’t have time to do the alignment on Polaris so I just tried to line up the scope on Jupiter with the finderscope instead.

I was out there for about 15 minutes, should have set up where it was more sheltered, but the alignment between the finderscope & telescope was good enough for me to get a good look at Jupiter.

It started to cloud over so I packed up, was battling against streaming eyes with the cold & gusts of wind shaking the scope. (Temp -2°C wind chill -7°C)

Purchasing the bigger 9 x 50 Skywatcher finderscope was a good investment.

Very promising start though & would have been more pleasant with less wind & warmer temperature.

2nd session Friday 19th March 2013

Had another session with the scope last night but the conditions were not very good.

Moon was clear & detailed, Jupiter a struggle to see clearly.

Still learning, first rule set up in daylight were possible, spent more time correcting assembly mistakes in the dark.

Used my Baader Hyperion 13mm eyepiece for the first time - very impressed, only used it & the 32mm Bresser eyepiece this session.

I think that when I’ve sorted the setup routine it will be much easier

I didn’t expect the EQ5 mount to be easy anyway, just need to get out there whenever I can.

In between the second & third viewings I have changed a few things.

1. Now made a platform at the top of the garden out of 9 x 600mm square slabs, took the tripod up there, used a compass app on my phone to align the tripod to as near North as possible, drilled 2 holes in the slabs for the feet on the tripod to locate in. The third leg had to be raised so I stuck a small slab down with silicone.
  2. Purchased another Baader Hyperion eyepiece - 8mm one.
  3. Borrowed a laptop, one with dual batteries so I had Stellaruim on hand.

3rd time Friday night 5th April

I put my scope out to cool before dark and then set up my scope on the slab base. I had marked the holes with white marker so they were easy to find & locate the tripod legs.

Spent some time on Jupiter, and practised lining up on various objects, what a difference on the slab base, my EQ5 tracked spot on. Thanks to whoever put that hole drilling tip on SGL, works a treat.

Stellaruim was showing Panstarrs above the horizon but I could not find it, tried with bino's still no luck.

Checked where Saturn was going to appear with Stellarium on the laptop, about 30 - 40 mins to go, went for a warm up.

Saturn rose in line with a neighbours chimney, easy to keep in view now the EQ5 was tracking correctly.

Went to fetch the wife for a look we were both well impressed with Saturn looked good with the Baader Hyperion 8mm eyepiece. (Tried my cheap Barlow, no real improvement).

Time to pack up, nearly midnight, best session so far made better by preparation of a proper spot for the EQ5.

Impressed with the Baader Hyperion 8mm & 13mm eyepieces, combined with the Revelation star diagonal. These eyepieces are heavy though & won't suit all scopes. Weight is balanced in part by the scopes dew sheild.

First time out I was using a 1.25" star diagonal & various used eyepieces, 9, 25, & 23mm.

Made a big step forward tonight, longer session, better EQ5 tracking & new optical accessories all combined to make it all worthwhile.post-28193-0-96480300-1365205964_thumb.jpost-28193-0-62315900-1365205971_thumb.j

Sounds like you are doing well, it takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get started there's no end to the fun you can have viewing different objects, wise choice in ep's for your scope.

Sounds great - I'm hoping for delivery of mount and scope this weekend - guaranteed cloud - apologies in advance. I've also got to get to grips with an eq mount - had a dob (10" intelliscope push to) and got quite good at giding with my hands - so it wil be an experience to have some motors!

Cheers, BillI

Sounds great - I'm hoping for delivery of mount and scope this weekend - guaranteed cloud - apologies in advance. I've also got to get to grips with an eq mount - had a dob (10" intelliscope push to) and got quite good at giding with my hands - so it wil be an experience to have some motors!

Cheers, BillI

nice one bill, let us no when you get first light, we love first light reports

nice one bill, let us no when you get first light, we love first light reports

Getting mount tomorrow moring pus OTA, but mounting plate will not be here for a few more days - time to get familir with mount.

Weather improving!!!!

Tempted to catalogue whole experience - box opening, assembly etc etc or is that a bit sad?

Archived