echo Hello Universe

StarWalker1

Hello All, :hello:

A total newbie taking my first baby step into the big universe of astronomy.

My last view through a scope was more than 15 years ago - but the view of Jupiter + moons and the hazy ring of Saturn is still bright in my memory. Recently (egged on by my enthusiastic wife) I've decided to get into the hobby. First thing is to get a telescope. Been researching the last week or so - and this site has been absolutely marvellous. I'm more or less settled on the Skymax 127 - the portability was a clincher, on EQ3-2 - as I want to get into AstroPhotography soon. (please please tell me now if it's a wrong choice).

Many questions remain...

- is a dew shield essential for a Mak (esp in these spring ahem wintery months)?

- I understand this scope has a large primary - which is not too good for DSOs - can I use a focal reducer at all to get better results?

- can I do Astro-photography without motorising the mount?

- is the EQ3-2 mount portable for flights - I'm hoping to take the setup on holidays to locations with clearer skies. Am I crazy to even think about doing this? :icon_scratch:

- are the filters essential? Any suggestion on what to get from anyone with a similar setup?

- are the eyepieces that come with the scope any good - or do I need to upgrade straight away?

- thinking of purchasing via FLO (read all the positive comments abt them) - do they offer a forum member discount?

Right - too many question for a "hello" post - so I'll shut up. :lipsrsealed:

Now if only the skies clear up! :grin:

Cheers,

StarWalker1.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm not into AP at the moment but I would strongly advise getting to know the sky before spending a fortune on kit. Maybe a nice pair of binos to start with.

Aperture fever will get you in the end but at least you will know where and what to look for.

I've not used the scope that your thinking of getting so couldn't comment but I would check the weight before planning any holidays and I wouldn't want my scopes in the hold of a plane or in the hands of baggage handlers!!!!!

Drive to France great skies in central/ southern France.

Good luck matey.

did somebody mention "echo" ? of echo and the bunnymen fame (my other obsession), i thought i was on the wrong forum :smiley: hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley:

is a dew shield essential for a Mak (esp in these spring ahem wintery months)? i would say yes

I understand this scope has a large primary - which is not too good for DSOs - can I use a focal reducer at all to get better results? it has a very long focal length which is not great for DSO's so you would need a focal reducer, if there is one available

can I do Astro-photography without motorising the mount? no not to any decent standard

is the EQ3-2 mount portable for flights - I'm hoping to take the setup on holidays to locations with clearer skies. Am I crazy to even think about doing this? :icon_scratch:not sure

are the filters essential? Any suggestion on what to get from anyone with a similar setup? a light pollution filter might help

are the eyepieces that come with the scope any good - or do I need to upgrade straight away? they are not the best, but eyepieces are a very individual choice

thinking of purchasing via FLO (read all the positive comments abt them) - do they offer a forum member discount? no discount anymore, they are pretty competitive

the skymax would make a nice planetary scope and would take some excellent planetary images with a webcam.as for taking on holiday, i guess you could if you were willing to pay for the extra luggage

Hi StarWalker1 and welcome to SGL, quite an array of questions in your welcome post, see what response you get then you can readdress some in the other various sections, if you feel you still want extra information. As you seem to want to enter into the world of AP sooner than later I would strongly recommend you obtain a copy of Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" available from FLO, before you consider spending any of your hard earned pennies. There is no scope that will cover all aspects of Astronomy especially where DSO and Planetary photography is concerned, however, your considered choice of the 127 Mak has taken some excellent Planetary images in the hands of some of the forum members :)

John.

Welcome to SGL

The 127 Mak is a capable little scope and works well for imaging of solar system objects, but I think it's far to say that it's not ideally suited to DSO imaging. I'd second John's recommendation to read "Making Every Photon Count" before you spend money elsewhere to get a better idea of where you should be heading and why.

James

Thanks guys for the welcome and helpful comments.

@tuckstar - I can really identify with the "spending a fortune" comment. Seems the more I look around the more £££ it get. Scope is definitely travelling with me - not in the hold. It's 3.5kg I think but not sure about size.

@pete - actually the "echo" came from a Unix version of a modified "hello world". My other hobby relates to coding you see. I'll go and listen to the band though :)

Thanks for the answers.

Hello, welcome. Just to add my two cents I have the SW127 MAK and would defo recommend getting a dew shield, I think it was my first purchase after getting the scope as it dosn't take long before the corrector plate starts fogging when its cold.

Thanks guys for the welcome and helpful comments.

@tuckstar - I can really identify with the "spending a fortune" comment. Seems the more I look around the more £££ it get. Scope is definitely travelling with me - not in the hold. It's 3.5kg I think but not sure about size.

@pete - actually the "echo" came from a Unix version of a modified "hello world". My other hobby relates to coding you see. I'll go and listen to the band though :)

Thanks for the answers.

i just look for any excuse to mention the bunnymen :grin:

Archived