Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Desert observing later this year

I am due to fly out to the middle east for 3 months later on this year and would love to continue my observing whilst away.

At present I have a 6" Dob, this is impractical to take due to luggage size issues.

Can anyone recommend a small scope I could take with me with that would potentially have better performance than my 6".

I am primarily interested in Observing and feel the dark skies I may be afforded will be amazing.

Oh budget will be around £600, but please don't tell the missus hahaha.

A second-hand C6SE? On a decent photo/video tripod.

Either that or a folding briefcase dob similar to Gary Seronik's. I've got something like this on hold until I get a bit more time/cash, hopefully it will end up something similar.

From what I have heard from people that have lived out in the Middle East the skies are rarely as pristine as you may expect, with a lot of dust in the air and depending on where you are, a lot of backscatter from the city lights. Also depending on where you are, safety in the dark areas is something to be carefully considered.

Still, I'm jealous! Hope it all works out well for you.

Maybe worth considering quality 15x70 Bins on a monopod with a ball head trigger grip.

Wonderful views and great portability.

Was watching a programme filmed in the Amazon last night and when they panned across the night sky, I caught a glimpse of Orion right at the Zenith.

I bet it looks fantastic.

Some great ideas thank you so much.

Hadn't thought about dust though, oh dear.

Ill be away from LP so hat really won't be an issue and there'll be plenty of people round to keep an eye on my kit.

The look of the carbon TSO is amazing, I'd never thought of looking at guide scopes before.

Cheers Loungers.

I

Where a bouts are you going. I spent some time in Qatar last year the skies never seemed to be to good. I think may be down to sand storms.

i am off to Afghanistan, so fingers crossed the LP won't be as bad as here.

Think I'm going to have to think a lot about dust prevention though, first thoughts being plastic bags over everything and possible a source of ionised air dusters if such things exist?

Afghanistan - you'll have to be careful that any drones don't mistake you and your group for insurgents, especially with gathering around in the night around things on tripods..

See an article in S&T about astronomy in those areas, written by one of the local astronomers.

Think I'm going to have to think a lot about dust prevention though,

We had an Army Photographer as a member on TPF who did a few tours of Afghanistan, I think his view was that dust just gets in everything, all his camera gear was waterproof and it still got inside, played havoc with anything that moved (that said, his gear was constantly in use).

A simple hand held puffer might be your best bet, an air duster might be too powerful and end up blowing dust into places you don't want it and is also likely to run out just when you need it most.

My guess is that non zoom eyepieces will be fine and a refractor scope tube likewise, the main problem would be the focuser controls and that might not be too bad depending on how much you use it in your three months.

Fingers crossed the views will be worthwhile and my equipment won't get too beaten up. Who knows I might be able to post a few pics all things permitting or at least get a diary on the go with my observations in it.

Below is a link to the observing report I wrote last year about my experiences of observing in Oman. The equipment used is a bit above budget, but it should hopefully illustrate that you do not need a particularly large aperture when the skies are that dark, so perhaps a small transportable refractor might be the way to go. And I guess your excitement might build as your thoughts turn to observing yourself under such dark and transparent skies.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/164163-observing-in-oman-%E2%80%93-a-report/

Archived