SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Not made in China

Russty

I must admit that I like to see 'Japan' on optical stuff. Some TeleVue eyepieces are not made in Japan, and are marked 'ROC' - Republic of China. But their specification is tightly controlled, each eyepiece is tested at F4 to ensure it's up to snuff.

Of course, your first TV eyepiece is a slippery slope to buying more............ :laugh:

Regards, Ed.

Congrats :) Nice photo too, did you take it? Looks really high magnficiation but really sharp too. DSLR?

Thank you. Yes took with my DSLR wife bought me last Christmas Nikon D3000 its only an entry level beginner DSLR as I've never had one before but I really like it and its a good way to get into it without spending more huge amounts of cash. I'm hoping to use it with scopes when I get a bit more proficient with it and scopes.

It's a good shot, you have the eye for it :) Lovely colour resolution in the photo, very rich green on black. Nice contrast on the metal detail, its a nice camera for sure.

Might need to get myself a DSLR at some point if they can do photos like that.

how dare you Ed, they are not marked just ROC but Taiwan ROC :grin: (well mine are anyway) or as Dellboy would have said "None of that made in Taiwan rubbish, these are made in Formosa!" (for younger folk, google it). http://en.wikipedia....raphy_of_Taiwan

the TV plossl is just as good as anoy other TV eyepiece other than to some extent apparent field of view and eye relief in some models, make no mistake. welcome to the black 'n' green club. :smiley:

Congratuations on your Tele Vue :smiley:

The plossls and the T6 Naglers are still made in Japan but most of the others, including the larger and more complex designs are now made in Taiwan ROC. It's the 100% quality control check by Tele Vue plus exclusive manufacturing contracts plus stringent specifications that makes them special wherever they are made though.

OMG! I bought my first TV EP today (only a 15mm plossl but you have to start somewhere right) and it's not made in china. Wow I thought everyrhing was made in china these days

Based on the excuses above, you just bought an EP from somewhere considerably less geologically stable than China. I'd be worried... :eek:

Russell

Congratulation on your new TV. A lot of high end optics are still made in Japan and Europe, although the performance gap between Chinese and Japanese optics are closing fast. Japanese and Western manufacturers need improve on quality in order to survive competitions from China. Many low and mid range Japanese optics have been surpassed by high end Chinese optics. Given a choice of Chinese made ES82 or a Japanese made Kasai Extra Widevue (85deg), I think I'd pick the ES without a second thought. Far easier than the choice between a TV Nagler vs ES82, where you'd have to think about whether the small improvement is worth the extra cash.

Con gratulations on you first step to an empty pocket.The Plossl range were I believe their first eyepieces too.

I have many Televues and none of mine are marked ROC, which ones are made in China?

Alan

I think only Naglers are still made in Japan. The rest (Ethos, Delos ...) are made in ROC (aka Taiwan).

During the cold war, North/South Korea, North/South Vietnam, and East/West Germany were all divided into two region roughly the same size. Not China though, PRC (commonly shorten as Mainland China) is MUCH larger than ROC (commonly shorten as Taiwan).

That's why Taiwan's flag carrier airline is called China Airlines while Mainland China's is Air China. Don't get the two mixed up when you book flight :D

I have just looked and many of mine have ROC on but this is not China a such. In the end as long as they are as good as they are I don't really care if they are made in a shed at the end of my garden. I fact if they were I might get a discount.

My 11mm, 9mm, and 7mm, are all Japan.

alan.

Archived