Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sticky finder base (Telrard/Rigel) removal

How do you remove your Telard or Rigel finder base that was stuck to the scope with sticky foam tape?

I wanted to transfer my Rigel from one scope to another. When I pulled the base off, the foam tape split down the middle, leaving a sticky mess on both the scope and the base. I removed the tape residue on the base using hot water, but obviously I cannot use the same method for the residue on the scope.

Any suggestion on how to remove these sticky tape residue is welcome.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I tried the hair dryer method and managed to remove the foam, but the adhesive refused to get off. I will try the solvent method later. I will try some IPA first, then white spirit if the IPA didn't work.

Thanks for the advice. I tried the hair dryer method and managed to remove the foam, but the adhesive refused to get off. I will try the solvent method later. I will try some IPA first, then white spirit if the IPA didn't work.

Do be careful with the OTA once you've drunk the IPA though.

James

• 2 months later...

Ever since the removal problem, I now stick electrical tape onto the tube first and then stick the double sided foam tape onto the electrical tape. This makes removing it much easier. Rigel finder is quite light, so taping the base on another layer of tape this is not a problem.

I shall be getting my hands on a Rigel that's missing its tape this week. What kind of tape can I use to stick it on my scope?

I'd have thought pretty much any double-sided sticky foam pads would do the job.

James

Archived