Hello From Bedfordshire

Red268

Hi all,

I have been interested in all aspects of space for as long as I can remember, and have often thought about getting myself a telescope or decent pair of bins.

I currently do not own a scope or a reasonable set of bins, but am once again looking in to it. I'll discuss that in the appropriate section though :)

I've been looking on this forum for a while, but only just registered as I was hoping to find some people locally that might have meets or events I could go along to to learn more.

I live in central Bedfordshire, UK.

I look forward to talking to people on here, and getting in to astronomy more and more.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bedford has a club in it somewhere, fairly large I understand - could be the Grammer School.

There is one at St Neots - Little Paxton, meet/observe on a Monday night I think at Little Paxton pits so fairly dark, car park and good surface to set up on.

Another at N Herts, Letchworth (LDAS), observe on a Friday+Saturday at Standalone Farm, not sure when the monthly meetings are.

Cambridge AA who meet at the Institute of Astronomy, talks are good but they tend not to observe as a group getting together with their scopes.

One at Luton, may use the observatory grounds on the East side, think where the A505 heads East to Hitchin, forget it's name at present.

Another at Papworth, cannot give any real details on them, all I know is they still exist and meet sometime and somewhere.

Think there is one around Milton Keynes, again no information.

Fedastro

List of Astro clubs.

That should keep you busy.

Bedford has a club in it somewhere, fairly large I understand - could be the Grammer School.

There is one at St Neots - Little Paxton, meet/observe on a Monday night I think at Little Paxton pits so fairly dark, car park and good surface to set up on.

Fedastro

List of Astro clubs.

Thanks very much, that's really useful. I worked over at Cambourne until recently, so the ones over there wouldn't be too difficult to get to and from.

I saw a thread about some people looking to meet very locally to me, I think one guy had permission to use a part of Wrest Park, although I could be mistaken.

Welcome to the forum. I'm Luton based

Thanks.

I believe I may have read a thread you made not all that long ago, about trying to get a meet going. I would certainly be interested. While I have no equipment of my own, I'd appreciate the opportunity to learn from others.

Wrest Park is (I think Daz ???), if I recall used to live/work in Stevenage, then moved to Ampthill, maybe Flitwick, maybe somewhere beginning with an "S" is what keeps creeping into my memory, could have been Shefford. Basically somewhere along the newish bit of the 507. :rolleyes:

It is/was a few people from here SGL that wanted to get together occasionally, I have no idea what arrangements were actually arrived at.

If you are around Cambridge tomorrow Wednesday, the IoA have a short talk and then peer at things through their scopes and the Cambridge club project on to a set of screens. Starts at 7:00 if I recall, ereasonable amount of parking, and is free (useful). It is along the Maddingly Road, just not sure how well signposted it is if you are not sure of the location. Best described as mid way between the Park and Ride and the Ring Road, on the left. :grin:

Wednesday's is the second last IoA Wednesday public night and it even looks like it could be clear (cold), Saturday is an Open Day there an looks like rain and snow. :mad:

Luton is Putteridge Bury, Uni has an Obs there. I get the impression that Luton may be a bit far south for you however.

Hi And Welcome to SGL.

Join a local astro group and see what kit others have and what may suit you. In the mean time download a planetarium program, stellarium is great and free from here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/ And invest in a couple of books, 'turn left at orion' and 'sky and telescope pocket star atlas'. These will teach you the sky and how to get around and find objects, a pair of binoculars would assist you also....

Cheers

Hi And Welcome to SGL.

Join a local astro group and see what kit others have and what may suit you. In the mean time download a planetarium program, stellarium is great and free from here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/ And invest in a couple of books, 'turn left at orion' and 'sky and telescope pocket star atlas'. These will teach you the sky and how to get around and find objects, a pair of binoculars would assist you also....

Cheers

Thanks - I had read on these forums a lot about people suggesting exactly what you just have, the book and the software. I have ordered the book and downloaded the software, which is fantastic!

I'll look in to joining the Bedford or Luton groups shortly.

Hi Red, and welcome to the friendliest astro forum around. All the advice you'll need when deciding what equipment to get is here. Just ask.

Sorry I can't help with local groups but I'm sure there must be some within striking distance. In the mean time you could download something like www.stellarium.org/ and start learning the night sky it will be invaluable once you get your scope.

Good luck and clear skies :smiley:

Jason

Archived