NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I think i'm going to move abroad

Pig

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand why you want to move if Astronomy is your passion. I am rather long in the tooth now, but the British weather seems to have deteriorated over the last years, with Winters having much more extended cloud, rain and snow than we ever used to have. My Son is now 30+ years, but I can remember when he was at Infants School /Primary School the many long cold frosty clear periods around November through December that lasted for weeks on end, the skies were brilliant, special Astro events in the most part could be watched without fear of being clouded out, now when something special is to happen in the Astronomical world its a lottery that you will ever be able to observe it, here in our part of the country, most times its a none starter. Patience is a virtue they say, but even that is beginning to wear a bit thin now :mad: If you have the will and the enthusiasm go for it :)

John.

Trouble is no-where is guaranteed anything, especially weather.

DaveS sounds about the same age and situation as myself, catch is after a few more years can we expect to need a bit more medical attention then we may have had to make use of in the last 20, the answer is very likely. Canada have a policy but it is something like $100 a month and that is therefore a continuous out going even when no salary is coming in. (May need to check this but it was a conversation I had with someone in Canada some time back). You don't want to know medical cost in the US. Remember that most do not supply medical costs free (know we have paid in for years).

Since the banking mess Canada, Australia and New Zealand have jumped in price. Forget the idea that they are less expensive places then the UK. For Canada and Australia it will cost more to get a weekly food supply then in the UK - not sure of NZ.

As has been said previously gone are the days when you could to a reasonable extent move to somewhere completely different to live without too much trouble. Realistically the "best" idea is to work for a multinational, identify a country and then move with them, after which apply for citizenship. Problem is you get one realistic chance, get it wrong and the alternative is back here.

Problem with the TV is you are presented with what they want to show - Florida is nice, just they have the occasional hurricane a few times a year, how many of the Move to Aus programs show the tropical cyclones hat hit the place?. Suspect that the easiest method of getting to live elsewhere is to find someone from there and marry them :eek: :eek: . Not an option if already married :grin: and maybe considered a bit extreme but for somewhere like NZ. Aus, Canada, US you are probably on safe® ground.

True Australia is like the 2nd or 3rd most expensive country in the world these days(that took me by surprise) but then again it's all relative. Wages have increased as well and if you are on the ground working then it is unlikely that it will be a struggle. As I have said before though it is a reason why we are putting off moving back to Oz, not because we can't afford it but we would have better options available in the EU at the moment(if all goes well).

Depending on what visa you are on healthcare is practically free too in Oz, you only pay a small % to access medicare but you need either a permanent visa or even to go as far as to get citizenship.

Also cyclones aren't really much of an issue unless you live up north which is only a tiny % of the population and if astronomy was a major factor in your move then they would be a non-issue as where the cyclones hit 6 months a year the weather is rubbish during the wet season. Lot's of spiders and snakes though. :D

Paul M. Sorry you had a disappointing visit to Tenerife with regards to astro. It was rather untypical weather even for the time of year. I stay at sea level and mostly go for solar observation although I've had fantastic lunar and planetary images on other visits, better than anything I've seen in the UK. Overall it's been the comfortable climate that we enjoy most as well as the knowledge that it would be easy enough to return home if necessary. :smiley:

I just got back this afternoon ( a day late due to a broken engine starter motor :( ). It would do for me too but not for stargazing!

I love the place but at sea level I find the air is just too hazy and the semi permanent stratocumulus cloud layer that plagues the islands often renders the stars invisible. I barely saw the stars at all during last week. Similar story every time I go, usually October sometime.

Perhaps a home in the southern resorts and an observatory somewhere up Teide would be a good combination :D

Yes. Tenerife is only a good observing site once you get up above the clouds, on the peak. However, since the whole peak area is a national park, the chances of getting a house there, or of being allowed to build an observatory are pretty much zero.

You could try La Palma - I spent a week there in a rented house in the south of the island. Very nice. Not quite the awe-inspiring majesty of the views from Teide, but a good compromise of: southern latitude, clear skies and low LP. ... It's just so dam' far away ;(

Paul M. Sorry you had a disappointing visit to Tenerife with regards to astro. It was rather untypical weather even for the time of year. I stay at sea level and mostly go for solar observation although I've had fantastic lunar and planetary images on other visits, better than anything I've seen in the UK. Overall it's been the comfortable climate that we enjoy most as well as the knowledge that it would be easy enough to return home if necessary. :smiley:

We just missed the recent storms by a week although the rough seas were still making my scuba diving interesting :D

I love the climate too but TBH, I don't remember ever having cloudless skies. There has always been some atmospherics of some sort when we go in October (usually).

Back in the 90's I did buy a 50mm spotting scope while on one trip there just to have a look at some of the more southern objects that aren't ever visible from UK latitudes.

As for having a home there, well, we look round the estate agents all the time but prices are just too high for us. Perhaps higher up behind the resorts would be more affordable and offer better seeing?

I was on Right Move looking at places on Fuerteventure (Excuse the illeterate spelling!) as from light pollution maps it looks the least affected. For the sort of small (1-2 bedroom) property I was seeking I was finding a lot under £150k.

Just hoping that by the time I retire:

1) We're still in the EU, as I don't want to jump through visa hoops, and,

2) The pound is a bit stronger against the Euro (Or Peso more likely)

I am seriously thinking of moving away from the UK to follow my hobby.

Its all work and clouds here :grin: I can handle the work - but the clouds - crikey !!! lol

Africa or Austarlia, What are the other choices ?

Same here - I had enough of Irish clouds. I think I gotta move away as soon as possible or I'll finish up in some mental hospital :D

Shaun, wherever you choose, don't forget to find a pad that's north facing!!!

I read the bit where you said the older you get the less you like people. It must be a common theme. I'm just 37 and I don't like most people either. God help me when I'm 70 odd :shocked:

Massively frustrating though it is with our weather, you have to remember that astronomy is a hobby. True its a passion too but an hobby nonetheless. Sometimes one has to take a reality check and remember that the stars will still be there when, one day, this shocking spate of weather these last few years eases of a little (we hope!). Moving overseas has a whole raft of major issues to consider; language (possibly), healthcare, growing old there, friends and family not being there etc, loneliness in case of death of a spouse etc. Its a very big deal. Many rush into this and end up coming back - at great expense and disruption. You have to go for 100% the right reasons.

A friend of ours parents moved out to Turkey a few years ago.

We recently heard that the mother was seriously ill and had returned to the UK for palliative care.

She died leaving the father with no home in the UK ( where all his family are) and a very empty home to return to in Turkey. He's back there now. Probably not for long....

A friend of ours parents moved out to Turkey a few years ago.

We recently heard that the mother was seriously ill and had returned to the UK for palliative care.

She died leaving the father with no home in the UK ( where all his family are) and a very empty home to return to in Turkey. He's back there now. Probably not for long....

Dear me, poor man. But that is exactly the kind of issue I was alluding to in my post above. I think many become transfixed by what they perceive to be a more idealistic lifestyle of blue skies, beaches, barbecue summers, clear skies etc. Everywhere else has there own share of issues, just different ones. And peoples perceptions are shaped by holidays overseas, not living there as a resident. The two are utterly different.

Archived