The future of Saturn and Jupiter

badgerchap

Been looking ahead in time on Stellarium, and boy, are we in for a show with the Gas Giants between about 2019 and 2022. Particularly around the 15th ish of December 2020 - Both planets in one image - they both fit on one sensor with my current set up! Can't wait - it's a shame it's seven years away really.

Is anyone else aware of any other fairly distant events like this? Always good to be prepared after all!

P.S. thanks Badgerchap for the heads-up.

Re-checking the prog indicates that they are even closer at 17:30 on that day at 6' 6", almost 1 hour before setting and 1 1/2 hours after sunset. The distance between Europa and Callisto at that time is 6' 39".

Nigel

I dont mean to dampen everyones spirits, but i've just checked and its gonna be cloudy with the possibility of heavy snow that night.....

no snow, the global warming will have melted all snow and ice caps nbut you might get a great view from your life raft

I dont mean to dampen everyones spirits, but i've just checked and its gonna be cloudy with the possibility of heavy snow that night.....

Cheerful soul antcha deloy, lol

btw, some of you don't wish your lives away. There will be many great astro occurences before then and we should look forward to them all with equal relish.

Baz/Steve

btw, some of you don't wish your lives away. There will be many great astro occurences before then and we should look forward to them all with equal relish.

Quite. There are still a few things to see this year yet :)One I'm looking forward to for Jupiter is in October, when three moons transit Jupiter at the same time.

When it does happen however, I reckon given a couple of metres of focal length to get some decent image scale both planets should just fit on my ASI120MC chip at the same time at their smallest angular separation. At more than two metres I think you'll need a camera with a bigger sensor.

James

Archived