Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new member from Berkshire

Jim Steele

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, scopes don't have to be expensive, my first cope was and still is a skywatcher 130 explorer. Excellent reflector starter scope, cost me £100 off of gumtree

Second hand is am option but I'm a bit wary of as I'm not really sure what to look for beyond obviously checking the mirrors. Astronomy seems like an expensive hobby just need to convince the wife that that nice scope I'm after is cheaper than golf membership!

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum. In addition to Stellarium (...it is rather good!) you might want to take a look at this site called The Binocular Sky which provides some useful information on using your binoculars along with some monthly suggested targets that should keep you going for a while.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum. In addition to Stellarium (...it is rather good!) you might want to take a look at this site called The Binocular Sky which provides some useful information on using your binoculars along with some monthly suggested targets that should keep you going for a while.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum,

James

Thanks James, that's a really useful link I will bed to my favorites

Hi Jim welcome to the lounge, I too am a newbie with bins, I am learning my way around the night sky,

which is the way to go before buying a scope, plus deciding which one, that's the hardest decision,

I have learn't a lot from this forum, plus lots of links to different sites, just ask.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's (soon I hope)

Hi Jim, I'm just up the road from you and currently basking in the crystal clear skies of Berkshire too.

Lots of very knowledgable people on here with great advice for the inevitable questions.

Welcome to SGL.

Archived