NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Pro - noise on start and end of slewing?

Notty

Hi all, I've just been playing with my new mount, and wanted to hear from anyone else with a similar one... when it starts to slew, it makes a sort of electro/metallic noise for a second or so, is then quiet for the main transit of the slew, then it does it again as it comes to a stop. Is this normal?

Thanks a lot. Andy

Hi all, I've just been playing with my new mount, and wanted to hear from anyone else with a similar one... when it starts to slew, it makes a sort of electro/metallic noise for a second or so, is then quiet for the main transit of the slew, then it does it again as it comes to a stop. Is this normal?

Thanks a lot. Andy

They all do that Sir :grin:

• 3 months later...

Hi

As Astrobaby said, this noise at start/end of spewing is usual. You can reduce the noise by carefully setting the gears and worm. But the noise will still be audible, together with backlash.

I changed the gears with pulleys and belt and I now only ear the noise of the stepper : See that video.

It also reduced the periodic error :

10293-1369665585.jpg

Fred

You can tune it out but its a real palava and not really worth th aggro.

Mine did it a lot less after following your regrease/rebuild tutorial.

Another option is to spend an hour or two with an EQ5/LXD-75 class mount, particularly the latter. After that, you'd think an HEQ5 is nigh on silent at any point during a slew!

Russell

Archived