Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'll believe it when it happens..

StuW

If it hits, then lets hope it doesn't hit any of the current rovers there. I'd love to see it hit Mars, it's a fairly rare event, and who knows, it may add some water to Mars' atmosphere for a short time?

It probably won't hit though, there is a much bigger window for it to miss than hit.

If it hits, then lets hope it doesn't hit any of the current rovers there.

If it's a biggy I don't think it'll matter where it hits, the rovers would most likely be doomed.

It probably won't hit though, there is a much bigger window for it to miss than hit.

It would be really cool to see a biggy hit say the Moon or Mars. But the chances of a Mars hit doesn't look good at all - shame.

Though NASA will be pleased if it doesn't hit.

If it's a biggy I don't think it'll matter where it hits, the rovers would most likely be doomed.

It would be really cool to see a biggy hit say the Moon or Mars. But the chances of a Mars hit doesn't look good at all - shame.

Though NASA will be pleased if it doesn't hit.

Depends on how big it is surely? If it's on the otherside of the planet, and it's the right size surely it wouldn't affect the rovers?

Depends on how big it is surely? If it's on the otherside of the planet, and it's the right size surely it wouldn't affect the rovers?

Could be hard to say. Given the lower gravity the dust and bits of squished Martian thrown into the atmosphere by the impact won't fall back so fast, but the atmosphere is so much thinner than ours that perhaps it wouldn't get carried so far as it might here.

James

Could be hard to say. Given the lower gravity the dust and bits of squished Martian thrown into the atmosphere by the impact won't fall back so fast, but the atmosphere is so much thinner than ours that perhaps it wouldn't get carried so far as it might here.

James

Curiosity might be OK because it's nuclear powered but I believe Opportunity is solar powered so a sudden kick up of dust into the atmosphere wouldn't do it any favours.

To be honest, rovers can be rebuilt and resent in a few years, but a big hit on a small planet would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to witness.. in fact once in several lifetimes.

Again it depends on the size, but even an impact on the far side from Curiosity might lead to huge amounts of dust being thrown up into the Martian atmosphere. This could cause problems for the rover because it may end up buried under a thick layer of dust.

Or, if you prefer a more positive spin.... a direct impact on the surface would leave a sizable crater that would save the rover a lot of digging! It could provide all sorts of samples and data that would be really useful to the scientists. :smiley:

Don't sweat the Mars Comet. Before it happens, we may get another meteorite like the Russian one..... out of the blue, nobody sees it coming, 10,000 tons at 40,000 mph, 500kTons TNT equivalent.

If it came in at a steeper angle over the UK, we would definitely not be worrying about being able to observe a Mars impact!

Don't sweat the Mars Comet. Before it happens, we may get another meteorite like the Russian one..... out of the blue, nobody sees it coming, 10,000 tons at 40,000 mph, 500kTons TNT equivalent.

If it came in at a steeper angle over the UK, we would definitely not be worrying about being able to observe a Mars impact!

Well that's cheered me up. :)

Think i may need to buy a wider lens for my camera to fit it all in the frame.

Archived